Esteemed Contributor

Re: Instead of salt - which spices do you choose?

If I'm making a grain, beans or a mayo based sald, I use diced celery, carrots and onions.

For vegetables, poultry or fish, I use fresh lime juice.

For beef, pork or vegetables, I use balsamic vinegar.

Salt is needed for cellular functions, so fresh produce and meats have a certain amount of salt when they are picked/caught/slaughtered.  It's just a matter of pulling that natural salt out of the food to get the flavor.  That's the function of the acids.

Also, remember, poultry and pork are usually brined.  They don't need any salt added.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Fresh lemon juice is also a good substitute for salt in sauces and soups. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all SO MUCH!

I had forgotten that I started this thread and was so happy to see the responses.

@chickenbutt

I always use Kosher salt, except for baking.

I can't remember who mentioned the Herbs de Provence, but I agree. I use them on almost everything.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm going to compile a list and start experimenting.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat, One thing I forgot to mention to you.  You can now buy both chicken and beef broth without any salt.  The sodium in their regular versions is through the roof!  Having the salt-free versions is helpful when you convert some of your favorite recipes to your new way of cooking,  If you check the salt contents of prepared soups, etc,, it's beyond belief and totally unnecessary.  I have gotten the feeling that many folks join us in being concerned with all the negative health effects of too much sodium.  I do subscribe to Nutrition Action newsletter, which I find very useful.

Respected Contributor

I cook with salt, but when I visit my son, I cook salt free.  I bring spices with me as he will not use them and they are expensive.   As others have said it depends on what I'm cooking.   Garlic is high on my list, different italian seasonings for stuff with tomatos.  Chipolte is a favorite for spicy foods.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

A friend of mine always uses Spike Vege-Sal to flavor her food. I noticed that they have a  salt-free version of one of their spice blends called Spike Salt-Free Magic! so I thought I'd share this information. -- btw, @HappyDaze, I thought this thread would be of interest to you. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

___

Spike ® Salt-Free Magic!
More than 39 lovingly blended exotic herbs, spices and vegetables – and NO SALT!
Category: Spice
Brand: Spike ® Salt-Free Magic!
Unit Price: $3.29

Ingredients: Defatted soy, onion, orange crystals, nutritional yeast, garlic, celery, dill, horseradish, lemon peel, mustard, orange peel, parsley, white pepper, turmeric, green and red bell peppers, rosehips, summer savory, mushroom, safflower, coriander, fenugreek, basil, marjoram, oregano, thyme, tarragon, cumin, ginger, cayenne pepper, cloves, spinach, rosemary, cinnamon, paprika and tomato.

___

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm cutting back on salt, but I really do miss it.

I don't want to use unnatural substitutes.

Which herbs and spices do you add in place of salt?

Like others have already said, I use herbs and spices depending on what I am cooking. I also like the Mrs. Dash spice blends, and I like different types of pepper too, like white pepper, and black pepper mixed with other flavors, like lemon flavoring to make lemon pepper, for example. Cat Happy

Super Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I use a lot of the salt-free blends from Penzeys Spices.  Not cheap, but well worth it.  Not all their blends are salt-free, but you would be surprised at how tasty the blends make your food.  You don't miss the salt.

Same! Love certain blends from Penzey's and some order by the bag! Northwoods Fire is my favorite (I like spicy), Foxpoint (good on literally anything) and Bouquet Garni. Anytime I use any of these, I never miss adding salt.

Trusted Contributor

I use Mrs. Dash lemon pepper every single night.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney