Honored Contributor

Just got mine a few days ago---was wondering if anyone does  steam canning in theirs and what added accessories do you recommend if any?

Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Pot ??

[ Edited ]

@wagirl  Sorry, would love a garden that produces  enough veggies to be canning.  Just want to congratulate you on your new purchase, you'll love your Instant Pot.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl

Canning comes up in my groups from time to time.

I’ve never see a positive ‘sure!’ answer.

IOW...no, the Instant Pot is not made for canning.

Just this very second, I Googled...with the same answer.

To double/triple verify, I would head over to Facebook.

Search for the group called ‘Instant Pot Community’

It has over 1,000,000 members. 

Search ‘canning’ & it will yield many answers to your question.

HTH!

8CA55A91-979B-44EA-87AF-082527D8CDEB.jpeg

Honored Contributor

if you do a lot of canning like my daughter and future son in law you might want a made for canning pressure cooking thingy.  they got one b/c they make jam and apple butter a lot.  it's made to do big batches.  don't ask me what it's called as canning is something about which I know zero/zip 

but a basic IP isn't intended for canning I think,  there might be one model that has a canning cycle but you need to look for it 

Respected Contributor

I'm a retired food safety expert.  DO NOT USE AN INSTANT POT for canning.  True pressure cookers can be used, but the best thing is a pressure canner.  Please check with your local University Extension Service for specifics in your area.  High altitude requirements are quite different.  All University Extension services have wonderful on line infor as does the  USDA

Honored Contributor

sidsmom--no I don't do Facebook and maybe I should have said steam canning like water bath canning.

Honored Contributor

I just watched a vid on Friedalovesbread.com and she went thru the whole process to do a water bath-like canning. She canned apple butter and such.

Valued Contributor

NO, NO, NO you cannot safely do canning in your Instant Pot. For reliable information on that issue, please go to Laura Pazzaglia's Hip Pressure Cooking site. While there are a number of wonderful pressure cooking and Instant Pot resources on the Internet, no one currently writing about pressure cooking and the Instant Pot knows any more about pressure cooking than Laura. She's the expert.

Honored Contributor

ok,ok---I get it. thx

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you have an Instapot?  It is a true pressure cooker.  What specifically do you mean that the old fashioned pressure cookers have that make them more suitable for canning.