Super Contributor

I have never owned a pressure cooker before but I am considering one for the reason of my having newly converted to a plant-based diet. I am thinking beans, rice, and other things would be great to cook in this. Any of you have one? If so any tips and advice would be appreciated!

TIA

Respected Contributor

I have both a stove top one(have a gas stove) as well as an electric one. For me I prefer the stove top pressure cooker but maybe because it is what I was use to using. My mom and gram always had one and I used theirs till the seals went and they were so old I couldn't find seals to fit so got new ones. I use the stove top a lot in winter but I can't advise you on what to fix since DH is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

you don't need anything fancy and in time you will be able to convert your other recipes to a pressure cooker and pressure cooker time.

This was my grams recipes if it helps to show you how long something takes:

Pressure cooker cabbage all in one meal(this was my grandmothers who had a really old pressure cooker I used it till the seal went. I love this as does hubby, great on a cold winter evening.
1 very large head cabbage cut into pieces
2 large onions cut into chunks
4 large carrots sliced thick
2 large potatoes cut into chunks
1 lb smoked sausage cut into slices
1=10 oz box frozen fordhook lima beans
1/2 cup beef broth
Start and end with cabbage laying in pressure cooker(I make 2 batches from this, eat one while the other is cooking) Top off with 1/2 cup beef broth and Bring to pressure. Cook for 7 minutes, No more or will be mushy. I bring pressure down quickly under cold running tap water. Mine is stove top one.
For second pot you will have broth leftover from first batch so no need to add anymore unless you see it needs it, 1/4 cup maybe, same instructions as above, so very good.

Respected Contributor
I love the PC because I am not one who plans menus ahead. If I want beans and forgot to soak them overnight, no problem. I put dried beans in the pot, cover with water, bring to a boil for 10 minutes (you can probably do this step in the PC) let it sit for an hour-and then I use my favorite PC recipe. You will love it for beans and grains. Imagine cooking steal cut oats in six minutes! Remember, you have to let it come up to pressure, and that takes a little time, but not long. Are you cooking for yourself or a family? If you are cooking for yourself, you might consider a stove top model. Poodlepet
Super Contributor
On 9/9/2014 Poodlepet said: I love the PC because I am not one who plans menus ahead. If I want beans and forgot to soak them overnight, no problem. I put dried beans in the pot, cover with water, bring to a boil for 10 minutes (you can probably do this step in the PC) let it sit for an hour-and then I use my favorite PC recipe. You will love it for beans and grains. Imagine cooking steal cut oats in six minutes! Remember, you have to let it come up to pressure, and that takes a little time, but not long. Are you cooking for yourself or a family? If you are cooking for yourself, you might consider a stove top model. Poodlepet

Just myself and DH.

Is a stove top model easier to use?

Frequent Contributor
I have the instapot brand stainless steal pot! I love it! It is a countertop unit looks like the one being sold here,I love having the stainless pot over the nonstick surfaced ones .this is my second pot I've owned both I prefer the stainless pot
Respected Contributor
The stove top may be a little trickier because you have to adjust the temperature on the stove to achieve the pressure given in your recipe-but that really isn't difficult. If you have gas, I have read that a heat diffuser or flame tamer is recommended. The advantages of the stove top models is that they come in a variety of sizes, and that certainly can cut your cooking time if you don't have a lot of "headroom". Personally I like the electronic models, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

I LOVE my Instant Pot...quick, easy, stainless steel rim, yogurt maker....it was my birthday gift and everything i have made has turned out just right. I have the duo model and I couldn't be happier.

Respected Contributor
I didn't know anything about this PC, but I researched it and people love it. Consumer Reports was not so kind, but we've been burned not once, but three times following their recommendations, so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. This is true for any electric PC, but I think it's worth it because you don't have to babysit. That's not to say that I would leave the house when my PC is cooking, but when you have a stovetop model, you can't wander too far: you do have to make sure the pressure is stable and you have to watch the timer. Poodlepet
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Oops,I thought this thread was about something else...LOL.
Super Contributor
On 9/10/2014 birkin baby said: Oops,I thought this thread was about something else...LOL.

me too! was going to make a 'cute' remark!!