Valued Contributor

@SilkeejCostco's price does include s/h, QVC's shipping is $7.50, so about $8 more at Costco.  What sells me even more than the $8 price difference is the 5 easy pay that makes it so affordable.  I would think Costco will be putting their model in a warehouse sale before Christmas.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Trusted Contributor

@Razzy 7 wrote:

Clem, 

You wrote: "QVC is selling the Instant Pot Viva 9 in 1 for $99.98 on sale.   Amazon the same pot costs $129.05 now."

Well, not exactly. QVC is the only retailer selling the model called the Viva. Amazon is not selling the Viva. Just as Costco is the only retailer selling the model called the Nova Plus. Just because an Instant Pot is described as a 9 in 1, doesn't mean every 9 in 1 is identical. There likely is at least some feature that is different or a feature one has that the other does not. I've learned that Costco insists that the model they sell is different in some way from other Instant Pot models being sold. I strongly suspect that's the case with QVC as well, as each of these merchants wants you to purchase the model that THEY sell.

Laura Pazzaglia, pressure cooking expert, and owner of Hip Pressure Cooking is doing an excellent job of comparing various Instant Pot models and differentiating one model from another. Check her website to see how the myriad Instant Pot models differ and if the differences truly are significant.

In my opinion, one doesn't need to get too hung up on whether an Instant Pot is a 7 in 1, an 8 in 1, a 9 in 1 or any other number - in 1. The vast majority of recipes online and in pressure cooking cookbooks do not call for using the presets (e.g. Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Slow Cook, Rice, Porridge, Multigrain, Cake, Egg, or Sterilize). They simply call for cooking at high pressure (most of the time) or low pressure (rarely), and list the amount of pressure cooking time. With the respect to the Instant Pot, 99.9% of the time I cook at high pressure and I simply press Manual (now labeled Pressure Cook on the newer models) and set the amount of cooking time. If a recipe requires it, I saute veggies or meat first on Saute - High first. I've not made yogurt yet, but when I do, I will likely use the Yogurt button.

I have an Instant Pot DUO and there's nothing the Viva, Nova Plus, Ultra, or Duo Plus can do that I cannot do on my DUO. Don't get hung up on unimportant differences. If the DUO wasn't an extremely capable Instant Pot, the company wouldn't have sold a jillion of them on Amazon Prime Day.

As many of you are aware, Instant Pot will be debuting a new model on August 1, 2018 called the Instant Pot Max. It's the first model that will truly have some new features rather than simply an increasing number of presets that you don't need. It's expected to sell for $200. 

JMO, A $49 C.E. Smart Digital pressure cooker does everything the Instant Pot does.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Chicagoan:

You are right QVC not only has shipping but a tax to pay and the easy pay does help to make things more affordable.  I just wish Costco would try harder for their paying members, I should not be able to beat their price at retail and a lot of times I can.   I haven't bought one yet I don't really know which model is the best. I have a pressure cooker already but I think the Instant Pot does a lot more than my pressure cooker.  A friend of mine told me Walmart was offering the Instant pot 6 in one for $ 49.00 for three days only last week,  sure wish I had known so I could have taken a look at what they were offering.   Thanks for responding to my post.

Respected Contributor

Kohl's has the Instant Pot Duo 7-1 on sale right now (all sizes) the 6qt. is 99.99 on sale but the have several coupons out....15, 20 or 30% off which can be applied...so I decided to try it and have the 20% off.  Made it 79.99....no shipping I just pick it up at the store....they also have $10 K cash back...I needed some allergy pillowcase covers which they carry there that I love so got them on sale too...got $20 K cash back! 

I like the no waiting and the savings and of course it's Kohls if I don't like it no big deal back it goes!

Respected Contributor

I will not profess to have any great knowledge about the Instant Pot.  However, after reading Foodie 7's review, I wanted to check out the newest Instant Pot.  Here is the first review I came upon:  https://www.cnet.com/reviews/instant-pot-max-review/

Naturally I want to do some more investigating, but I have found that sometimes the more features a device offers, the more that can go wrong or not be totally right to begin with. 

I have to admit I'm almost sorry I didn't purchase one of the first ones because the more versions that are introduced, the more I am confused! Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

The  Release date on the Max keeps being delayed due to the canning issue. The powers that be are still saying no to that. Personally the 15 psi might be worth waiting for if it actually results in faster cooking.(I've been waiting) Woman SadWoman SadWoman Frustrated  I would not try to use this in place of a pressure canner anyway. Some of the reviews are saying the 15 psi is not any faster than the 11. It should be! This is very problematic when you want to charge $200.00 for the increase pressure. I still have hope that Instant pot will get the issued fixed.

Trusted Contributor

I am also interested in the max. The few reviews I've read from those who got it early to try are not great. Still hoping they make it great before it's released.

Respected Contributor

Just because I had heard so much about it and thought I might like it I got mine from Williams Sonoma last year. They had it on sale and there was 25% off and free shipping so it came to $89. It is the 9-in-1. I have only used it as a slow cooker and I do like being able to sear the meat in the pan itself.

But I am never, ever going to use all the functions. Yogurt? Really? And the little mini-rice cooker from HSN makes perfect rice for two. Also the charm of pressure cooking is completely lost on me. By the time you bring it up to pressure and release the pressure you could make the food another way. Even more time is used up if you have to add ingredients at the end and pressurize again. I may use it sometime for pressure cooking but I can't think of anything right now.

Not to say I don't like the IP - I do. But all this hullabaloo? Meh.

Occasional Contributor

Actually, yogurt = YES.  You may not have tasted yogurt that is not store-bought, or you don't like yogurt.  There is NOTHING like homemade yogurt and the Instant Pot makes it soooo easy.  Also, you can boil and peel eggs in 15 minutes, have husked corn on the cob within 15 minutes start to finish, and cook a pot roast in half the time as the oven, with the tenderest roast imaginable.  The Instant Pot has been a game-changer for millions of working parents and even for me, a single woman who owns a 3-quart duo.  QVC's price for the 6-quart is competitive, plus they have easy pay.  If  I wanted another one (and many people own more than one), I would purchase it, pronto!

Valued Contributor

I am going to wait until QVC gets the colors in.  I wonder if it will be a TSV.  I hope it will be the same 6 QT 9 in 1.