Honored Contributor

Instant Pot Question - Do I need one?

I have a Cuisinart pressure cooker that I love. It also browns and warms. I also have a rice cooker I don't want to part with. And of course I have a few slow cookers. Do I need an Instant Pot? If you think I do, which one would you advise me to get. I know they now have a cult following. One of my friends just got one as an early Christmas present! TIA! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Pot Question - Do I need one?

The Instant Pot is basically just a pressure cooker with bells and whistles.  Since you already have a PC, why would you need another?  I'd wait until your present PC quits; by then they will have an Instant Pot that preps the veggies and whistles Dixie and you can purchase "the latest thing".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I just bought a small one on sale/black Friday.

To me it's scary to use at first. I have mastered hard boiled eggs and made some pork. As for the eggs, honestly it's just as fast boiling them on the stove. You have to wait for the pressure to come up and then cook for 5 minutes. It took 15 min. total to make those eggs. When I stove top them it takes 13. 

I don't see using this that often. I have slow cookers that I use once in a while.

I prefer to cook things the normal way, saute on the stove, cook roasts and chicken, make soup and chili in my cast iron le cruset. 

Those that figure it out love it. There are facebook pages that people rave about it and own many. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't get all the hype over the Instapot. I have a Cuisinart PC also like the OP.

I don't use it very often, maybe because I am retired and don't mind throwing things in the oven to cook all day.

I guess it helps those that need to make meals fast.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom

A new Instant Pot would replace your rice cooker and slow

cookers, as well as offer a few new options, like yogurt maker.

Sounds like you’re content with your kitchen appliance game...

why rock the boat?  

BUT...if you’re in the market to buy, you would not be disappointed

with an Instant Pot! 

Regular Contributor

I purchased one in November.  I  bought the Crock Pot brand which is the same as the Instant Pot.  It's called the Express Crock.  It hs the same functions, was about $15 less, and had almost perfect ratings.  One of the biggest complaints that I read about on several web sites was the Instant Pot's confusing instructions.  I cant' verify that since I didn't get that brand.  The Crock Pot Express Crock is easy to understand and use.  The negatives are the amount of room it takes to store and the hassle of dragging it out every time I use it.  These are the things that I like about it.  I purchased the 8 quart size.  It does a great job of cooking chicken breasts from the frozen state, preparing a large quantity of cooked rice or potatoes, cooking a large number of eggs without cracking, and searing a pot roast and cooking it quickly.  The number one process that I appreciate is cooking dry beans.  I find it to be invaluable for that.  They are done in about 35 minutes after the pressure rises.  I can cook  2 pounds and freeze what we don't use. 

I have a stove top pressure cooker and haven't used it in years.  This type seems very safe so I will probably try some of my old recipes.  However, I'm not sure it is worth the amount of space it takes for a little convenience.  It is also an expensive way to cook rice, potatoes, eggs & chicken breasts.  The methods that I have used for years work just as well and in some cases, just as fast.  I also make yogurt and really love my yogurt maker so I doubt I will use it for that.  For slow cooked soups and stews, I will still ontinue to use my LeCrueset Dutch Oven.  It develops amazing flavor which can't be duplicated with an electric pressure cooker or regualr Crock Pot. 

I did buy the Instant Pot for our adult children as a Christmas gift.  They work and are always looking for ways to make meal preparation faster and easier.  I guess everyone has to decide what they need and want in their kitchen. 

Honored Contributor

I think you can live without it, @beach-mom.  I thought I had to have one so I ordered one on a big sale.  It was delivered and sat in the box for close to two months.  I decided that since I didn’t eagerly dive in and use it, I really didn’t need it.  I ended up giving it to a friend for a fundraiser and auction she was heading up.  I haven’t had a single regret.  At this point in our lives DH and. I don’t need any cooked meals in a hurry.  

Honored Contributor

we love ours,  if  your current one is working you don't need it but if you need to replace look at the IPot

Frequent Contributor

I haven't jumped on the instant pot bandwagon either. I do feel like I am missing on on something though.  I just haven't figured out just what that is or how it will make my life easier! It may come to me yet!

Honored Contributor

I think if you have to ask if you need one you dont.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)