Honored Contributor

Induction Range - anyone have? pros and cons?

I'm remodeling my kitchen and was thinking of buying an induciton range. I was going between Samsung and LG. Thoughts? 

I was going to buy a gas range but I HATE the heavy gigantic grates that  you would have to lift up to clean the stove top. I have a small sink - I cant even imagine putting the grate into the sink.

so... hoping my fellow cooks can help me.... 

TIA

Contributor

Re: Induction Range - anyone have? pros and cons?

I bought a Bosch induction oven/cook top in September

last year. I love it. The only issue is that you may need to get rid of some of your cookware. My stuff was old and needed a refresh. 

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one a few years ago and love it. It came with a new set of pans but I still had to get rid of a few. It heats things on the burners faster than a conventional stove. 

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey : Great idea. With the gas cooktop the large heavy grates are hard to clean and need a large sink. 

@Yahooey wrote:

I'm remodeling my kitchen and was thinking of buying an induciton range. I was going between Samsung and LG. Thoughts? 

I was going to buy a gas range but I HATE the heavy gigantic grates that  you would have to lift up to clean the stove top. I have a small sink - I cant even imagine putting the grate into the sink.

so... hoping my fellow cooks can help me.... 

TIA

Valued Contributor

We bought our GE in 2018, and love it.   Remember that it's not a good idea to turn it all the way up.  It heats really fast, I mean really Fast.

And if you turn away, not good.

Induction does not accept all pots / pans etc- example - No Mackenzie Childs teapots.   

Not a problem for me, though.

It has to be something a magnet will stick to.

(I don't care for gas at all.  It's unforgiving.  

In the 90's a co-worker of mine, and part of his family died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

So tragic, it made national news)

Honored Contributor

@shoppersince1989 @SouthernBee @Meowingkitty @Couns1 

thank you for replying.... kinda excited and it wasn't on my radar a day ago

the grates were grating on my nerves lol

i had the old fashioned white enamel stove with 4 burners and u ccan lift the grate with 2 fingers

and yes.... pans.... I dont own a lot 

2 cast iron

1 stainless steel all clad

i do have 2 Farberware stockpots - i dont know about that - aluminum? 

bummer if i have to let them go - they have been with me for a while

i had magnets when i was a kid - now -

not a one and where do you buy a magnet lol

Honored Contributor

We built our last house 6 yrs ago.

I love to cook .....but watched too much HGTV/Food network and convinced myself after a lifetime of glass top electric....I needed to switch to gas.

Only mistake I made on this house (we pretty much designed it)

It would cost thousands to install an electric line now, plus the Induction 5 burner I want....plus would ruin the downstairs ceiling to run the line.

Long story longer (LOL) I bought an induction plate and LOVE LOVE induction!!!!

I'm saving up to replace the gas cooktop someday...but in the mean time....I use this induction burner for everything.

For $100, I mostly solved my sad story.

The cons listed are correct.....not all pans will work....etc

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a portable induction cooktop we used when we remodeled our kitchen. 

DH wanted a gas stove so we installed a gas line & bought a gas stove. I don't have any problems removing the grates. It's easy to keep clean. As I get older I doubt I will like it. We still have wiring for electric so we can buy either. He does most of the cooking. 

We also installed a 33x22 Kraus workstation sink with rack, cutting board, drying rack. It's large enough to clean all our larger cooking pieces. 

We have never needed to put the grates from the stove in the sink. They are wiped off with soapy dish cloth after each use like the rest of the stove. I also clean the kitchen top to bottom once per week. 

DH didn't like the induction burner. I think he was in a hurry & didn't take the time to look at the booklet that came with it before using it? Plus trying to make dinner with counters made with saw horses & counter top we removed was inconvenient. 

I imagine after you get it figured out on cooking at what temp it would be nice. 

Honored Contributor

I have the portable induction burner that I surely do like.

Do you have the wiring for an electric stove?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

OP:

good for you for considering it!  it is just THE BEST!!  

we went the cooktop route with wall oven.   LOVE LOVE LOVE!  

we had gas, electric coil, electric cooktop and absolutely none compare to induction!!!  

as far as brands, i hear most are satisfied with Bosch.  do your research and get the best that u can afford.  

yes, you do compatible cookware.  HomeGoods etc carries induction ready cookware.  I use:  AllClad, LeCreuset, Lodge and few odds and ends.  if u invest in good cookware^^^, u will never have to replace.  

Best of Luck, you will love it.