Respected Contributor

Re: In this season of Lent ...

I was raised to give up something that I enjoy during Lent but also to not overindulge in anything during the season. It is a time of sacrifice, our society has turned it into a food or shopping thing (for example). I agree with Curlywhitedog that we should use this time to strengthen our faith and perhaps do something extra for someone who might need it.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Occasional Contributor

On 3/8/2015 MomOf4 said:

I gave up coffee and I have the headache to prove it.

Lol! Hope you feel better soon

Esteemed Contributor

I gave up soda and junk food and I am surprised I don't really miss it.

Honored Contributor

Every Lent I give up buying anything for myself or the house. It is a long 6 weeks!!! And truly a sacrifice for me.

Respected Contributor

I gave up eating while watching TV. I live alone and have noticed that I tend to eat most meals in front of the tv. That habit has evolved into not being able to watch tv without eating something! I decided the six weeks of Lent would be a good time to break that bad habit, and it's crazy how many times I catch myself doing it without even thinking! I'm going to have to add a few more days to Lent in order to make up for my transgressions.

("bless me Father for I have sinned . . . . ")

Esteemed Contributor

Lent is no longer about ""giving up"" it is more about service.giving of ones self to help others in more in line now.

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2015 Chrystaltree said:

Sounds like OP should have given up chocolate...lol I think the the pursose of Lent is to give up something that really and truly means something to you. It's supposed to be a sacrifice. Otherwise what's the point? If I use OP's logic, I can say I've given up eating all leafy, green vegetable for Lent. I hate them, I don't miss them at all....lol I remember using that logic for Lent when I was 10. Of course, my mom wouldn't let us get away with it....lol

Chrystaltree, your post made me laugh! Yeah, when I was about 10 I tried giving up tomatoes for Lent. Ha....back in those days in Michigan, we never saw a tomato in February. My Mom nixed that idea, too!

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2015 MalteseMomma said:

Lent is no longer about "giving up" it is more about service.giving of ones self to help others in more in line now.

I do recognize this. However, I am not a particularly avid practitioner of any particular religion, so I chose to use this period of time for personal growth. As for giving to others, I do what I can when I can, all year. To each their own, no need to preach or judge.

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of lent. When do we start seeing patcze's in the store. I hope I spelled that right.
Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2015 MalteseMomma said:

Lent is no longer about "giving up" it is more about service.giving of ones self to help others in more in line now.

I absolutely agree with this. "Random acts of kindness" of all kinds fit the bill here and I do this on a routine basis throughout the year, not just during Lent.

Fourteen days without a soda and don't even miss it. Maybe I should give it up completely. Smile I have to think about that.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~