Respected Contributor

Re: In this season of Lent ...

On 3/9/2015 ccassaday said: Speaking of lent. When do we start seeing patcze's in the store. I hope I spelled that right.

You missed 'em this year, ccassaday. They are out just before Lent starts.

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2015 Chrystaltree said:

Sounds like OP should have given up chocolate...lol I think the the pursose of Lent is to give up something that really and truly means something to you. It's supposed to be a sacrifice. Otherwise what's the point? If I use OP's logic, I can say I've given up eating all leafy, green vegetable for Lent. I hate them, I don't miss them at all....lol I remember using that logic for Lent when I was 10. Of course, my mom wouldn't let us get away with it....lol

I don't think you read OP very well. She expected to have been missing the soda, as it is part of her daily routine, and she likes it. The fact that is wasn't as hard as she thought it would be might just be some divine intervention strength, rather than a cop out by the OP

I find it rather mean to belittle the OP like this, basically calling her sacrifice 'childish'.

Honored Contributor

I am not Catholic but truly appreciate the thought and sacrifice of the Lenten Season. While we should do these things year round, I believe it to be a wonderful time of concentrated efforts for improvement.

I have been participating in Lent for 4 years now. If Christ could sacrifice His life for us...surely I can sacrifice a little part of me. When I am tempted...I find it to be the perfect time to go into prayer.

I always give up a food and an attitude. Last year I gave up Weight Watchers Chocolates. I kept treating myself to those little buggers all the time thinking ...oh Hey...they are only 1 or 2 points...have a few! I haven't eaten even one in this whole year...I can live without them. Not even the best chocolate! LOL

For my attitude...I gave up sarcasm. I can't tell you how hard that was for me to do! I wish I could say when Lent was over last year...I continued to leave it out of my personality....wish I could say that! But we are all a work in progress right?

This year I have given up desserts and laziness! The desserts I am doing fine with..the laziness....trying hard...lots of prayer! I hate exercise but it is so good for me, right?

Respected Contributor

On 3/10/2015 RespectLife said:

I am not Catholic but truly appreciate the thought and sacrifice of the Lenten Season. While we should do these things year round, I believe it to be a wonderful time of concentrated efforts for improvement.

RespectLife, you are on the same wavelength as me, although I can't imagine giving up sarcasm, LOL!

I had a friend who once gave up cheese for Lent - but only white cheese i.e., parmesan, mozzarella. I still kid her about that!

Honored Contributor

That's funny suzeecat! Just white cheese, LOL!

My DH said last night he would exercise FOR me...if I would go back to last year's Lenten choice and give up sarcasm again for this year! Hee hee! I really need to keep working on that one apparently!

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2015 ccassaday said: Speaking of lent. When do we start seeing patcze's in the store. I hope I spelled that right.

They don't even know what they are here in Tulsa!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it