Respected Contributor

In the market for a new microwave

It's 20 years since I bought a new microwave.  What would you look for in a new microwave?

I have an air fryer.

Respected Contributor

Re: In the market for a new microwave

[ Edited ]

I grew up in a home without a microwave, (mom & grandmom's generation never saw the need...I wonder about that again myself), so when I got my condo, I also didn't have one for about 10 years. But I finally got one in about 2009. I basically just heat up tea/coffee in it, or occasional frozen dinners.

I just have that basic white, GE one I see everywhere, lots of people have it. Been around forever, been all I've needed.

I have a small kitchen, with little counter space for a lot of small appliances to keep out...but I've considered making space for an air fryer. Bf loves his and the things he makes with it, breaded/fried fish, marinated pork loin (on the rotisserie), come delicious! He got the Power XL off QVC... It's big for my place, and I don't think QVC carries that one anymore. Which air fryer do you have?

Honored Contributor

We have a GE over the stove, 1100 watts, rotating table and pretty simple, not overly complicated.  It came with the condo.  We use the microwave a lot and along with the George Foreman grill is how we cook most of our food.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 ...........My daughter just bought a new microwave (dont remember the brand) but it does almost everything.  A lot of smaller appliances are now multi cookers and take the place of a cook stove and oven.

I would suggest searching online and seeing the options, that to me would beat going store to store or getting the first thing you see.

The suggestions if you are a microwave user for cooking.  I am not so less cooking options would be a choice for me.

Good luck

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1

After 20 years, my "old faithful" kicked off, too.    I only use a dorm size, for tv dinners, reheating things, etc.   

Anyway, I bought a Black & Decker™...and the "electronics" had "improved" greatly...meaning there were more steps to follow.    It took me a while to get used to it, but I'm OK now.      di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

There isn't a lot new in microwaves in the last twenty years. Prices have come way, way down, but that's about the only real change from twenty years ago. I bought a Hamiton Beach Microwave (around $70 US) from Walmart and it's been fine. You can get newer combination ones that do a lot of stuff, (microwave, conventional oven, convection oven, air fryer, etc.) but then there's more stuff to break and instead of losing just one appliance you end up losing the use of multiple ones. Most of the stuff in "normal" microwaves hasn't changed much in the last twenty years. Some of the high-end stuff, like temperature probes, have moved down to some lower-tier items, but essentially whatever you could get twenty years ago is still out there, just cheaper.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a Sharp and loved it for about 18 years..When It kicked the bucket..I bought another Sharp..it's a piece of junk..hope it dies soon.

Honored Contributor

My Mother had a Shrp[ microwave convection oven from about  1973. We are getting a Samsung above the stove microwave with a vent as part of our kitchen renovation 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 is it going over your stove or will it be a stand alone item?

Respected Contributor

I replaced my over the stove microwave with one inside an island cabinet drawer..............love that so much more.