Valued Contributor

Re: In the Kitchen - is the sale more important than wasting food?

Really..."not buying just because Mark and David were more worried about the number being sold"? Certainly your right to purchase or not purchase, but SELLING is what David and Mark are paid for and the number sold of any product is critical. 

Respected Contributor

C'mon.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Years ago QVC donated the food to a nearby charity.  For several years now there are rules that prohibit that.  I think we do need to see the demos.  I'm sure some of the staff eats some of the food that hasn't been under the hot lights for long, etc.   For years I baked for a charity here that made dinners for free to anyone in need of  a hot meal.   Can no longer take homemade food to donate for the last several years.  I miss doing it.

Valued Contributor

The MODS have answered this before.  no worries, they know what they are doing.  

Occasional Contributor

While I strongly agree that there are regulations and rules around food donations, those of you responding to my post are missing the point. Some of the demos are clearly done where you can see food being provided to staff, etc. Todays viewing was not. Watch and see how often then demo gadgets and waste food. You will be surprised. Opening a battery pack and then cutting Ham steak into the same bowl - well if you don’t see a waste there, well....
Trusted Contributor

@QVCShopperExtraordinaire  I thought it was just me who noticed that about Mark Charles. It really is such a shame at all the waste with his presentations. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

It can not be donated due to federal law.   Im thinking a lot of it is eaten by the hosts, vendors and crews.

I dont think Q cares if you buy anything because of your lack of knowledge in this area.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

The piddling amount of food they waste isn't going to solve the country's hunger problem.  It's drop in the buckent and what would you want QVC to do?  Put that food that has been under hot study lights in and man handledd by heaven knows how many peopl off camera....do you what them to put it buckets and bags and leave it on a street corner?  For restaurants and caterers there are health and safety rules that govern what can be dispensed to charities, how it should be stores and packaged, the timing.  Safety comes first.  QVC isn't a restaurant or a caterer so they can't give food away even if they wanted to.  

Honored Contributor

My sister-in-law was a food stylist for a chain of grocery stores.  I once visited their photo studio and saw a beautiful ham sitting under lights.  She explained it had been there many hours and eventually would be scrapped.  Just a cost of doing business, I guess. Same with QVC.  This is an infinitesimal percentage of wasted food, personally I am not bothered by it.  

Honored Contributor

Time to face reality. 

Food demos on QVC have two components.

First it's about sales. Some of the foods are treated and reused through the day, and are not safe to eat. 

A lot of the food is indeed safe to eat, and  is pounced on almost before the camera's are off the segment, and eaten by the staff behind the scenes. It has been stated as so, many times. 

I see it this way. Most people who make money are generous. If QVC makes money by wasting a little food, have you ever considered how much they do for charity? Most large companies do. And those people making good money to work the demos and sell the stuff, they are probably generous and give back to society as well, because they are so 'greedy' and selling and making lots of money doing so. 

So I'd suggest you consider the bigger picture. Some wasted food that generates a lot of money for QVC, the food or gadget company selling the product, the vendor, the host, and what wealth it creates for them, gives them  the ability to give back to society in any number of ways. And I'm sure many of them do, as I hear them talk about the various charities they support and the church things they are involved in.

You kind of have to stop looking at the trees, and see the entire forest.