Occasional Contributor

In the Kitchen - is the sale more important than wasting food?

Watching in the kitchen and a demo of K49303 today. While it is great to show the items’s ability, but the amount of food being wasted by Mark Charles is tremendous. Remember 1 in 8 AMERICANS go hungry every day. Be smart QVC - demo responsibly so that some of that food could be used in a way to feed the hungry or support a soup kitchen! Not buying just because Mark and David were more worried about the number being sold.
Honored Contributor

Re: In the Kitchen - is the sale more important than wasting food?

There are very strict regulations re: donating food and I doubt that food used in a studio setting under hot studio lights, not refrigerated, no gloves, etc., would be suitable for donating under those guidelines.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

How do you know that it's all being thrown away?  We really don't know what happens to the food.

I like to see how a product can be used and if that means showing me the different foods that it will chop, I'm all for it.  I purchased one of the Big Deal Genius food choppers as a gift.

Honored Contributor

I would think that the studio staff and anyone around the studio would be given the food.  And I agree with a previous poster that there are regulations as to what, how and where food can be donated.  

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCShopperExtraordinaire - There are always plenty of crew members, vendors, and other hosts around who help to eat a lot of the food that is prepared during the kitchen shows. On In the Kitchen with Mary, they've even dubbed these people "seagulls" since they rapidly descend upon whatever food is available after a presentation. I'm sure some things do go to waste, but QVC has been presenting these shows for decades, so it seems likely that there are protocols in place for how they handle and prepare the food as well as how it is shared or disposed.

Honored Contributor

@QVCShopperExtraordinaire wrote:
Watching in the kitchen and a demo of K49303 today. While it is great to show the items’s ability, but the amount of food being wasted by Mark Charles is tremendous. Remember 1 in 8 AMERICANS go hungry every day. Be smart QVC - demo responsibly so that some of that food could be used in a way to feed the hungry or support a soup kitchen! Not buying just because Mark and David were more worried about the number being sold.

@QVCShopperExtraordinaire 

I think your "assumptions" are wrong!  After one of the food demos on Mary's show she stated "once these demos are over its a swarm of people ready to eat!".  Mary stated there are lots of "behind the scenes" people waiting for yummy food!  I'm sure it's the same for all cooking demos except for unusable food items.

I know our local food store used to have self-serve bakery and salad bar.  They closed it & now you need to ask for what you want.  I asked the manager why as it was so convenient and his answer was "too much food thrown away".  Very strict standards and no longer can donate unused prepared foods to soup kitchens due to sanitary and federal guidelines.

And honestly, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you don't buy the item because of your beliefs that's your prerogative.

Respected Contributor

You have got to be kidding with this post. Being curious as to what they do with the food they cook, or can they open is one thing.

To assume the food is wasted, is an assumption, too. 

But to suggest there is something wrong with demonstrating the product by using the food and other items to do so is, frankly, ridiculous. You would then have to include every food cooking show on television and every gadget sold on television.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCShopperExtraordinaire wrote:

This is a put on, right?

Honored Contributor

Re: IYoun the Kitchen - is the sale more important than wasting food?

You can send your concerns to the QVCs presidents office.  As an individual, you can support your local food drives and pantries.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: IYoun the Kitchen - is the sale more important than wasting food?

Maybe there are a lot of homeless people behind the scenes who help “clean up” after the demos. 

And if not, there may now be cries that there should be. 

Keepin' it real.