Regular Contributor

Re: In praise of Temptations

Well, I am actually feeling sick to my stomach for the thoughts of throwing mine away.  This past week a lid-it cracked in the oven ruining our dinner.  I just keep envisioning a casserole of scalloped potatoes cracking and the mess in the oven.  I keep envisioning taking out a bowl with baked beans from the microwave and having  in break and my chest being burned or my feet.  I have spent hundred of dollars on Temp-tations just to throw it away.  I can't even give it away for fear of hurting someone.  I really need to be reembursed that would at least help.  I have certain recipes that I also use just certain pieces of temp-tation, my whole routine is going to be messed up.  It's unreal.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Temptations for the dinnerware more than anything else.  I have bought an assortment of plates and bowls in pairs from her Temptaions.com site over the years when she puts them out there and they are often my go-to plates.  I even snagged a nice assortment of the original polka dot plates and bowls.   I have a bunch of other colors and patterns to choose from which is fun to mix things up.   I have a couple of complete sets that she sold on QVC a few years back.  I like the plates and bowls from those sets.  My favorite is the Harvest set.

Other than plates and bowls I sometimes will purchase her large platters in differnt patterns.  I often use a large one to reheat pizza in the big oven and so far no problems.  On a rare occasion I use the 9x13 bakers to bake brownies or a box cake and never had a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@Mary Bailey  Congratulations on your purchase! Your post reminded me that I've been on the fence for a while about purchasing the red one, to match my kitchen. I might just take the plunge during the next free shipping event, assuming there's any left. I hope yours works out for you.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparklesMine came today!  Easy to put together, sturdy and matches my dining room metal and glass furniture.

I'm so glad I bought it.

Honored Contributor

received this "centertaining" piece this past week.

so cute displayed in the kitchen.

i am hoping she brings in more tiles to add to it.

https://www.qvc.com/Temp-tations-Seasonal-Centertaining-Tray.product.K49908.html?sc=SRCH

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I feel like I say the same things over and over about Temp-taions, but I'll say them again! LOL

I have a huge collection in many patterns and colors. honestly I could fully outfit (extensively) five kitchens probably. 

I've always enjoyed the patterns and colors and designs I've chosen. I don't tire of them (probably because I rotate them for seasons and holidays). I think the best feature of the brand is that if you choose the major patterns, you can buy everything imaginable to match/coordinate in your kitchen. You don't have to have a mix matched mess of things, but a fully matching, everything you could ever need look, and I love that. 

I've been buying since day one. And the idea that the older stuff is better isn't accurate. The issue is that the brand has had inconsistency in quality since day one. There was a period a number of years ago where almost everything was poor quality, but in the last several years, I've purchased things that are much better. 

The biggest problem I've had is crazing. Sometimes it is right out of the box, brand new, sometimes after just several years of it sitting on display and never used, sometimes after just a couple of uses and other times after years of use. I will say I loose an average of a half dozen pieces a year to crazing. It has curbed my buying considerably, because TT used to be pretty cheap, now it's too expensive to be a throw away product.

I will admit this issue isn't exclusive to Temp-tations. Pfaltzgraff has had the issue with certain patterns of theirs as well, and their products were made back in the day, and in the USA. A lot of the crazing issue has to do with improper glazing techniques from the factory. It can also happen if stoneware is soaked and made too wet. 

So I have a love/hate relationship with Temp-tations, always have. I buy very little anymore, and usually only when something is way marked down and free shipping. 

I never got rid of my Corninware and my Pyrex, and I'm glad I did not, as I still use these and I know that they will long outlast my Temp-tations. If I had to severely scale back all my kitchen items, the Temp-tations mostly would go, and I'd keep those decades old tried and true Corningware and Pyrex products, even though I don't like the style and looks of them as much as I do the Temp-tations. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey  Thank you so much for the update! I'm glad that it worked out for you, so I think I will order one as well. The fact that it's   easy to put together, is a HUGE selling point for me. Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy your new cart.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖