Honored Contributor

In or Out? Stuffing or Dressing?

Dressing only at this house!  100 Percent cornbread dressing with mushrooms.

How about your house?  In or Out?  Stuffing or Dressing?  Dressing being cooked outside the bird!

Honored Contributor

Re: In or Out? Stuffing or Dressing?

[ Edited ]

I make a lot.  I stuff the bird and also have enough for a casserole dish...so I do in and out.

At my house we called it " filling" when I grew up.  We mostly call it stuffing  now.  No one in my family calls it dressing.  Dressing is what we pour over greens to make a salad.

Update Added:  I just looked up "bread filling." It appears it is used by the PA Dutch people

(German) 

The recipes for it appear to very close to the one my family uses.

Honored Contributor

Out, we're only roasting a turkey breast.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've had very good luck making it in the slow cooker, tastes as good as out of the bird.

Trusted Contributor

At our house we call it stuffing, although we don't actually stuff the bird!  Don't know why we call it.

Respected Contributor

At my house, its cornbread stuffing made outside of the turkey. Dressing goes on salad in my lexicon 😁

Honored Contributor

Since I no longer cook whole turkeys, I cook dressing in my slow cooker.  It's just as good as what was cooked in the bird and a whole lot less trouble. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Cornbread dressing, out.  To me, stuffing is stuffed in the turkey and dressing is cooked separately and dresses the turkey on the plate.

Respected Contributor

Cornbread dressing made after the turkey finishes cooking. We set aside some broth to make gravy, and then pour all of the remaining broth into the crumbled cornbread. Then the magic begins with a little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of tasting until it is just right. (We put all the eggs into the cornbread so everything we are tasting is safe.)

Super Contributor

May I ask, do you just make your regular dressing recipe and put it in the crock pot?  I was thinking of dooing mine that way but a little reluctant since I haven't cooked it that way before.