Honored Contributor

Re: In case you wondered - Martha Stewart's side dishes

Ladies, I have a killer mac and cheese I got where we had a dinner.  It was SO fantastic, she let me take the leftovers home in a baggie!!!

When our 6 year old grandson ate it, he said "Gram, this is just delicious!".  

The key is not to over cook.  It effects the creamy texture.

The  Oh! My! Mac and Cheese

Doubled, it will fit a 9 x 13.  One recipe does a

9 x 9.

Reheats like a dream!  

4 C hot small macaroni noodles (8 oz uncooked)

2 C (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 C cottage cheese

3/4 C sour cream

1/2 C milk 

2 Tbsp grated fresh onion

1  1/2 tsp butter, melted

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Cooking Spray

Topping

1/4 C dry bread crumbs

1 Tbsp butter, melted

1/2 tsp paprika (optional for extra flavor)

2 C shredded sharp cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine first 10 ingredients, stir well.

Pour into sprayed casserole.

Spread 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese over top of casserole.

Mix butter, breadcrumbs, and paprika

Spread on top of casserole

Cover with foil.

Bake 350 for 45 minutes.

Uncover and bake 10 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned.

Six one cup servings

Respected Contributor

We had MS Brie, Mashed Potatoes, creamed Spinach for Thanksgiving.  The Brie was very good.  The mashed potatoes were very good, but there was nothing exceptional about them.  The creamed spinach was delicious; I would order that again.

Respected Contributor

Didn't mean to step on your toes. Happy Holidays!!(missy 1 )

Honored Contributor

ecbg---I have a question for you--this recipe sounds good but was wondering if the cottage cheese stays in the little curds or does it melt into the sauce. My hubs HATES cottage cheese and would never eat anything with it in it but adores mac n cheese.

Also just an FYI for the ones who didn't think onions should be in it--use onion powder. 

thx

Honored Contributor

I wonder what people thought of her TSV.

Super Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I wonder what people thought of her TSV.

WELL ! I'm a pretty good cook, but thought this would be great for the 3 of us this year,no fuss no muss! I think the instructions were poorly written.

The sides were mashed potatoes and mac & cheese,they were fantastic. The turkey was moist but we thought it was a little tough. I think I could of baked it a little longer also. The basting butter flavor really came through and was great.

@I have read some reviews about the sides and there are NO onions in the mac, it has bread crumbs and cheese on top so baking it for the last 20 minutes @400 degrees melts the cheese and browns the top. The mashed potatoes needed stirring while baking and the last 20 min. @400 degrees gives them brown edges ans creamy texture. I would buy the sides again no question. We ended up being 5 people and had left overs,nice amount of food for the price!  RACA

New Contributor

I bought the Mac & Cheese and mashed potatoes.  The Mac & Cheese was liked by my husband, and it did have a slight flavor of onion, the mashed potatoes were very pureed and salty, but my daughter and husband liked them.  I have never liked Martha's recipes for cooking, I find her food bland and there isn't the layers of flavor, surprisingly even when she tries international food it is bland.  However, her baking skills and techniques are wonderful.  I have a recipe for a vanilla cake of hers, it is very dense and mois.  I knew my husband would like these two sides as it is his type of food.  Each to his own when it comes to taste and food.