Respected Contributor

Re: Importance of Nutritional Information in David's Cookbooks

@Bascia wrote:

I watched some of the presentation of David's New Cookbook and was really getting annoyed with the humbleness of David for this reason.

While watching and he mentioning different recipies, I found everyone he mentioned on Pinterest.  This happened with his first book and now the third, did not even pay attention to the second, all these recipies are on Pinterest.

It seems to me that a person can write a "cookbook" and recipies are already existent for free and then charge for the book and be humble about it.

The only people benefiting from this is David's wallet and QVC's wallet.

I know many many people love David but to know you can find these recipies for free and have him be so humble is very discouraging and disheartening.

David stick to TV Hosting and stop trying to scam your audience.

Sorry but this is not right.   For this reason, I will not view In the Kitchen with David

and I know I am just one person but I am one person who has seen the light of this scam.

I've read that Ree Drummond does the same thing by taking popular recipes already out there, changing them in a small way then calling it hers.  She and David aren't alone using this method.  I suppose you could argue that a difference in one ingredient or amount will be preferred by some who decide to purchase their versions.

The way I see it is they have bills to pay and need our money to do it;

Probably every recipe ever thought up is available on the internet, or somethig close to it.

Occasional Contributor

Way back when, Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet, had the only TV show and cookbooks that explained in depth and showed how how to transform unhealthy recipes into healthy ones with the Minimax concept. He drank too much on the air but major negative life events transformed him and his cooking philosophy into  pure inspiration. Check out the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Kerr and his YouTube videos.

Paula Deen changed her recipes when her health became a major issue.  She has her own network and is as successful as ever. Other celebrity chefs are doing the same. You know who they are so I won't shame them publicly.

Who will be the next unhealthy looking host or cookbook author to follow their wisdom?

Occasional Contributor

Correction to my previous post: I meant to state "other celebrity chefs aren't doing the same". I regret the error.

Honored Contributor

I don't own that many cookbooks because I tend to rely on the same meals other than for holidays or when someone craves something different. I plan the meals around what is on sale and make sure it's primarily protein, then veggies, then a small starch (if at all). My family eats healthy the majority of the time; we rarely eat out and by cooking from scratch, I can eliminate or add what I wish.

All that said: it's fun to have a treat or something different now and then. And honestly? I run out of ideas cooking so much. Many of the recipes he offers reminds me of what I grew up with (Daddy was from the South) and we used to eat that way, every day (no one had weight issues either). His cookbooks sit in my kitchen next to Paula Dean, Wolfgang Puck and Southern Living plus my recipe box; life is good. : )

I did order his latest because, being honest, there are times when Life interferes and you find yourself having to throw stuff together. I would love shortcuts that product food my family will eat with what I have in the cupboard. 

Last, I like him so, I'm going to support his entrepreneurial spirit. 

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

Maybe someone has mentioned this allready but How can absolute nutritional content be printed when they don't know which brand of Prepackaged short cut product you will be using?

I've never looked into his books but Did his other books have that info? 

Most all of the cookbooks in my collection do not have Nutritional info. 

Respected Contributor

It is not important. If you only eat healthy this is not a book for you. If you want food that tastes good it isn't healthy.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I am not a nutritional fanatic and am able to recognize a vegtable, fruit, protein, carb etc.,

@Kachina624

Huh?

What is -A- protein?

What is -A- carb?

They are nutrients...not a food item.

Respected Contributor

To include the nutritional information in this type of cookbook would have substantially increased the cost of producing it. Imagine they would have to contract with a nutrition expert to do the calculations and then hold them legally liable for what information is printed. Doubt the cookbook would be selling for under $20. Have the sales stalled, wondering because noticed four easy pays for such a low cost item.
Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

It is not important. If you only eat healthy this is not a book for you. If you want food that tastes good it isn't healthy.

@CLHS68, I might be misunderstanding this. If you're saying that healthful food doesn't taste good, I disagree.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland