Honored Contributor

Re: Importance of Nutritional Information in David's Cookbooks

I tend to use cookbooks as reading material -  and I love the pictures of the prepared foods. 

I rarely prepare any of the recipes from many of them now because of nutrition issues and it isn't often even with the nutrition info that I find recipes that work for me.   What I cook really doesn't send me to recipes.  I know how to roast a basic chicken or bake a plain small potato, white or sweet, and I like my veggies, even cooked, quite plain. 

My collection of recipes from years ago when I did cook more are even scarier than those today without nutrition info.  Heavy cream, lots of butter, cheese by the cups, slabs of beef or bacon.  I don't need nutrition numbers to tell me that at most I could safely eat one tablespoon!

Esteemed Contributor

No, I do not agree.

Valued Contributor

Lack of nutritional information anywhere is a deal breaker. I would't use David's recipes, as I know they are high fat/calorie and processed. He wouldn't be able to sell them.  I wish him well, but I go to the pin for healthy recipes.

Super Contributor

I agree with the OP.  I won't be buying David's  book, even though I think he is wonderful,  his food for the most part has ingredients I don't use.  Looking for more healthy things to cook.

Respected Contributor

No offense to anyone, but David, cookbook and healthy don't go together. He isn't know for his whole foods or healthy recipes. As for the use of prepackaged foods in recipes, need I not remind you of Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not a nutritional fanatic and am able to recognize a vegtable, fruit, protein, carb etc., so i can make my own determination as to what should or should not be part of a healthy diet.  Nobody in my family has ever died from the effects of malnutrition, so I can only assume what I'm doing is working.  I don't pay much attention to nutritional information except for calories.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I'll wait until I see it at a garage sale or thrift store.

(and may not even buy it then)

I have seen his other 2 books at Goodwill & Saver's lately.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@barc43 wrote:

Lack of nutritional information in any cookbook is for me a deal breaker. Do you agree or not?

Lack of nutritional information is not a deal breaker for me.  

Because with a predominately Asian diet,  I eat heathy.  Lots of vegetables, low salt, low sugar, and don’t consume much red meat, or eat processed foods.  I am very fit with no health issues, thanks to healthy eating in moderation, and excercise.

IMO, D.V.’s cookbook is a non-starter for me because his recipes rely heavily on supermarket “short cuts” proceeded foods.

Good luck.

Hung

Esteemed Contributor

It would not be a deal breaker for me. I've been cooking long enough and have been around long enough to know (by looking at the recipe) what is over the top or should maybe be adjusted. As others have said, we have the wonderful internet if we want more info on a specific ingredient that we're not familiar with. If a person has specific dietary needs, then I doubt they would have a need for David's cookbook, with or without nutritional information.

Honored Contributor

I have no use for that kind of cookbook.  If I'm going to eat food like that, I'll just pick something upon the way home.

Half of it is probably mac and cheese anyway.  With more fat added to it.