Honored Contributor

Re: If you were to rewrite all your recipes...

[ Edited ]

I've loved all of your responses and I'm glad to hear that many of you agree with me about hand writing the recipes.  My mom was not an enthusiastic cook, so I have no recipes of hers.  My dad loved to cook, and I have a few recipes that he typed, literally typed on a typewriter. They're not in his handwriting, but cherished nonetheless.

@shoesnbags 

Good point about the cursive.  My sons, of course, know how to read and write in cursive, but I'm not sure about generations after that.  I'd hate for them to have to hire an anthropologist to figure out my recipe for vegetable barley soup, lol.

@Razzy 7 

I do plan on making lots of personal notes. I think that's the most important part.  I have a few vintage cookbooks that I've purchased from Ebay over the years. My favorite is an old Betty Crocker cookbook, because the original owner wrote notes next to some of the recipes, like "Billy's favorite birthday cake". I didn't know her, or Billy, but it makes it all the more meaningful to think that I'm preserving someone's past.

This is what I wound up purchasing from Amazon. I looked on Etsy for something prettier, but the prices were unreasonable.

This one is large, standard notebook dimensions and it has plastic covers and 120 pages, which I thought was appropriate since my birthday is 1/20 🙂

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG

~ house cat ~
Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm thinking of rewriting all my favorite personal and family recipes - ones that I've been using and saving for decades, long before computers and Pinterest and all the rest.

I know I can type them and create a digital record of them, but I want something more personal, something that my kids will be likely to find and keep after I'm gone.

I'm debating if I should use a traditional file box, or a journal notebook.

Any opinions before I purchase supplies?

Thank you.

@house_cat  I would make sure, whatever you decide, that if you print the recipes, you make sure that they are laminated or otherwise protected from spills, smudges, etc. I remember my mom's recipe cards being stained with batter, dough, sauce, etc. and one or more of the ingredients got hard to read after many years. 

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat I have a 3 ring binder that I use.  It's not pretty, but it's functional.  I use clear page protectors and put recipes in those.  I just went through all of my mom's recipes from her box (and cried as I came across her handwritten recipes).  I put her cards right in the protectors, so I'm still keeping the sentimental piece Smiley Happy   I also use this for recipes I either print out or grab out of magazines to try.  I toss them in my 'to try' section.  

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

You mention kids ( plural).

I would seriously consider using your computer, making a recipe per page, one sided, and decorate the pages digitally or scrapbook, and buy a three ring binder for each kid. Print out copies for all of them.

Why make them wait until you are gone?

If some of the kids don't enjoy your cooking, do it for those who would love it.

This can be as elaborate or simple as you'd like to present.

I agree. And you can also copy the digital files to your kids as a backup, in case anything happens to the binders.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to the Covid restrictions, I have started to despise technology and become more artistic and crafty.  I would rather shuffle through a box than spend time scrolling to a recipe.  I have an old wooden recipe box for 4x6 cards.  I purchased the index tab cards and generic 4x6 note cards.  I wish there was a huge selection of recipe sets to choose from but there is not.  I will make do.  Written recipes are much more personal and a good creative outlet.  

This may sound strange but a sentimental factor of written recipes is that I get to see my Grandmother's handwriting.  The cursive style takes me back to fond memories of her.

Respected Contributor

All of these responses make me think of when my BF's mother passed away.  She wanted her recipe box to go to his exwife.  The only people that were offended by this were my BF's cousins. She had shared many recipes with me over the years and somehow, the cousins grabbed the recipes and a few years later gave them to my BF. We gave them to his exwife.  

He mentioned his mom's mac and cheese recipe so I asked his ex about  it.  First she couldn't find it. Then a day or so later she found it in the front of the box.  

She laughed and said - you know how you always put the ones you use the most back in the front of the box rather than where they belong..........I do the same thing!  It was so funny.