Honored Contributor

Re: If you were to rewrite all your recipes...

I've been doing this since got married & have had binders for years.  I use sheet protectors and many of my fav recipes are handwritten.  Most are from my grandmoms, aunts, mother from their recipe "boxes".   And some are great recipes torn from magazines.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A 3 ring binder with the recipes typed & put inside sheet protectors from Staples. The binder will lay flat or the page can easily be removed. The sheet protectors are a clear plastic you can wash off.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm thinking of rewriting all my favorite personal and family recipes - ones that I've been using and saving for decades, long before computers and Pinterest and all the rest.

I know I can type them and create a digital record of them, but I want something more personal, something that my kids will be likely to find and keep after I'm gone.

I'm debating if I should use a traditional file box, or a journal notebook.

Any opinions before I purchase supplies?

Thank you.

In craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, they have sort of like a "scrapbook" book just for recipes.  It's a binder with plastic slots inside, recipe cards, embellishmens, etc.  I know stores aren't open right now, but maybe online?

Respected Contributor

I've rewritten my favorites--in one of those personal cookbooks. I've given them as gifts, too. Barnes and Noble often has them near the cookbooks in what used to be called their "Budget"area (forgot what it's called now).

Although I still have the recipe cards, computer files, and folders, I like having favorites readily available in a book.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

There's some sites that will publish a cookbook for you

but before you go to all the work find out if your family will appreciate it 

I'd scan them to a shareable site, then save original in a binder 

Honored Contributor

The only option I would consider is a digital file.  Scan recipes, copy them into a digital file, compile them and I'd send them out as soon as you do them.  That way the kids can file them away.

That saves them from having stuff to deal with and pack and find room for and shuffle around when and if they move.  Or to store and never see again.

Anything you can put on paper can be put into a digital file and compiled, searched, printed out, etc. without the ordeal of stuff to deal with.

To me that's the kindest and most useful option.

Respected Contributor

I have a hardcover  Lined recipe book.  I kept the first few pages for the Index and have written my favs inside.  I have many recipe cards and notebooks from mom and the Grands but my favourites get written into that green gingham hardbound book for quick referance.  There's just something about a recipe thats got stains and notes written in the margins that connects me through the years. 

Honored Contributor

The ones my girls want are all written on the blank divider pages in my Betty Crocker cookbook.   They asked me to do that years ago.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

My Betty Crocker cookbook which was my mother's has all kinds of notes in it!  From my one sons favorite peanut butter cookie recipe that notes "_____ fav cookie" to notes on adding or comments on recipe.

Its like a bible😉

Trusted Contributor

I wanted my son to have some of his favorites of my recipes.  I wanted them written in my own handwriting, so I used 4X6 inch index cards and inserted them into a small photo album with pages that flip.  

For my own use, I typed my frequently used recipes and printed them out on half sheets of paper.  I paper punched them and put them in a small sized 3-ring binder with dividers for categories.  I like the small size binder because it fits easily on a shelf and when open it fits easily on the countertop.  I made two notebooks and have one at home and one at our summer lake house.  I didn't bother with plastic sleeves because once the pages get messy I can reprint the recipes since they are saved on my computer.