Honored Contributor

If you were to rewrite all your recipes...

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking of rewriting all my favorite personal and family recipes - ones that I've been using and saving for decades, long before computers and Pinterest and all the rest.

I know I can type them and create a digital record of them, but I want something more personal, something that my kids will be likely to find and keep after I'm gone.

I'm debating if I should use a traditional file box, or a journal notebook.

Any opinions before I purchase supplies?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: If you were to rewrite all your recipes...

I type mine and then use a plastic page cover and a 3 ring binder.  I make handwritten notes on the recipes sometimes. I also store all of them in a facebook album - you can limit access to the folks you want to share your recipes with.  

It's not quite a personal as handwriting everything. 

Respected Contributor

You mention kids ( plural).

I would seriously consider using your computer, making a recipe per page, one sided, and decorate the pages digitally or scrapbook, and buy a three ring binder for each kid. Print out copies for all of them.

Why make them wait until you are gone?

If some of the kids don't enjoy your cooking, do it for those who would love it.

This can be as elaborate or simple as you'd like to present.

Esteemed Contributor

Was thinking of doing the same. Hand writing the cards instead of the hodge podge mess I have and getting a new recipe box. I was a SAHM when DS was born and I still have so many handwritten memories in those cards.

I had seen some nice cards by Lang but they had disappeared from their website.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You could put them together in an album to give as Christmas gifts (makes the time spent make more sense). Use a site like 'mixbook' that has embellishments to dress it up, etc (watch for coupons). You could type the recipes but then add personal notes by/under some of them of why it's a favorite and/or when you like to serve it, etc. hth =)

Honored Contributor

I'm traditional so I'd write them on pretty recipe cards and store in a recipe box with dividers. I once put some recipes I cut out of newspapers, cookbooks and magazines in a binder, but failed to categorize them; that's why I like dividers!

Honored Contributor

I'm not fond of cards because they're small and can get lost.  Recipe boxes can get turned over.

A journal or notebook can be put on a book shelf with other cook books or other books.

Respected Contributor

Notebook. Recipe boxes are awkward and fussy and I can't imagine younger people relating to them.

But instead or in addition to the notebook, I'd be scanning the recipes and uploading them to Dropbox or something similar and giving the kids access to the folder.  That way they can call up the recipe on their phones or tablets wherever they are.

Honored Contributor

Mine will just go in the trash when I die, but I have mine in a regular-sized binder in plastic sleeves, with dividers.

But if I had anybody to whom they would go, I kind of like that because they are large enough (regular 8.5x11" paper) to read easily.  Second to that, I always liked the 'recipe box' type thing, on 3x5" cards.  It's more compact and easy to keep right there on the kitchen counter or in the cabinet.  My binder usually goes into a bookshelf when I'm not using it.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   I typed all my recipes and printed them out and put in small 4 x 6 -3 ring binder according to categories.....and I notice you want to hand write yours..that's great. (I don't have children to pass the recipes down to).  

I have only 3 of my mom's hand written recipes on a 3 x 5 card.  I have no idea what happened to the rest of her recipes.  I love seeing her hand writing even after all these years.

You might hand write (according to which child favored a recipe over another).  recipes and type the rest.  I don't know how many children you have but you'd probably have to make a recipe book for each child.