Regular Contributor

Re: If you're thinking about purchasing a Thanksgiving turkey...

As bizarre as it sounds, I've had really good luck with Honeysuckle frozen turkeys.

I put big bird in the refrigerator for a week. Then I make a brine and add apple cider.

Big bird goes in the brine for about 8 hours. Trash the brine and dry big bird.

I put butter and cut up herbs under the skin all over big bird. I then bath big bird in butter on the outside. Salt and pepper the outside. Inside big bird gets celery, onions, lemons

I've been doing it like this for the last few years and the turkey has gotten good reviews.

Super Contributor

Re: If you're thinking about purchasing a Thanksgiving turkey...

Sooner,

(Sorry for the delayed reply, but haven't been on the boards for awhile).

At a few TJs they will cut for you and vacuum seal both halves. Most TJs don't have the ability to do that. Usually, I just take mine to Publix and have them remove the backbone, wings and split, then vacuum seal.

With fresh birds, it's not too difficult to remove the backbone, wings and cut in half. FoodSaver now has the large pleated bags which will easily hold half a 20# turkey and then some.

I bake the half bird directly on the oven rack NOT IN A ROASTING PAN. On the rack underneath, I have my dressing in an 11" X 16" or larger pan. This way the 'drippings' end up in the dressing. Doesn't leave drippings for gravy, but that's what I use the backbone, neck, and wings for. I do the gravy ahead of time with them.