Super Contributor

Re: If you're thinking about purchasing a Thanksgiving turkey...

Love TJ's brined turkeys. Have been getting them for several years. Took one to Okla a couple of years ago and they were all happy and sad--happy to have such a great turkey and sad they have no TJ's in OklaCity.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/4/2014 Hooty said:

I guess you do not realize, everyone does not have a Trader Joe's in the city/town, my city is included! We are getting a Whole Foods and I am looking forward to that!

I usually get a Butter Ball turkey breast, only eat white meat!

Hooty,

I apologize for not making that statement, as I'm aware that Trader Joe's does not exist by any means in every community. I've been fortunate in that my wonderful step-mother called me one day and asked if I could drive her to the market on Saturday. She was such a special lady, so of course I drove over to Mill Valley and picked her up. This was in maybe 1978. I asked her where we were going and she said to Trader Joe's. Didn't know what she was talking about, so had such a pleasant surprise when we arrived. Back then, her TJ's had a great lunch bar where you could get the best salads and sandwiches, freshly made. So glad you'll have a Whole Foods soon. We have 4 Whole Foods in our new "home town!" The biggest one is humongous. I have to put a limit on my spending when I go in there by carrying only so much cash - I don't check out with a credit card, because it's so tempting to purchase!!! Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/4/2014 SeasonedCitizen said:

Love TJ's brined turkeys. Have been getting them for several years. Took one to Okla a couple of years ago and they were all happy and sad--happy to have such a great turkey and sad they have no TJ's in OklaCity.

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment! I lived in Tulsa for 6 years and found Oklahomans difficult to get out of their box. Yea for you and your turkey!

Respected Contributor

That's a good recommendation; we used to get Empire (pre-brined) chicken years ago and it was really delicious. I use our local turkeys from the Amish farmers (outstanding) but if I didn't have them nearby, this would be an excellent suggestion.

Respected Contributor

We usually just take the feathers off and bake. Last year I did a Mayo Crusted bird. You use herbs and mayo, rub the outside and press it under the skin and into the cavity. Put carrots, celery, onion, herbs, garlic in the cavity and bake. It made some really great skin and a very moist bird.

Frequent Contributor

I cook turkey at Christmas. Do you think I could buy a TJ brined turkey and freeze it until then?

Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 tigriss said:

We usually just take the feathers off and bake. Last year I did a Mayo Crusted bird. You use herbs and mayo, rub the outside and press it under the skin and into the cavity. Put carrots, celery, onion, herbs, garlic in the cavity and bake. It made some really great skin and a very moist bird.

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

So you kill a turkey, pluck the feathers and bake it? {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Super Contributor

Yes, you can easily freeze. Not necessary to over-wrap the whole ones.

I generally get 6 or so of the TJs buzzards every year. I either smoke or deep fry four of them, so for that, I buy ones between 12 and 14 pounds. The others generally weigh 18 pounds, or as big as TJ's has. I cut up and/or bone these before freezing. I like to use turkey thighs when we haven't butchered a baby calf and run out of veal for cutlets and the like.

Sometimes, I deep fry the breasts of the large birds. Have also been known to just cut the large turkeys half before freezing and roast just the half.

Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Deadeye Daisy said:

Yes, you can easily freeze. Not necessary to over-wrap the whole ones.

I generally get 6 or so of the TJs buzzards every year. I either smoke or deep fry four of them, so for that, I buy ones between 12 and 14 pounds. The others generally weigh 18 pounds, or as big as TJ's has. I cut up and/or bone these before freezing. I like to use turkey thighs when we haven't butchered a baby calf and run out of veal for cutlets and the like.

Sometimes, I deep fry the breasts of the large birds. Have also been known to just cut the large turkeys half before freezing and roast just the half.

When you cut them in half for freezing, how do you wrap them? Sound like a wonderful idea!

Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 Sunshine Kate said:
On 11/5/2014 tigriss said:

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

So you kill a turkey, pluck the feathers and bake it? {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Yep. You can hunt them in your backyard in most places in the county. I live in the country, so deer and other fresh game are easily available. We also have local turkey shoots where your good aim earns you a turkey, wild of course. You can also raise yours controlling what they eat if you like. Wild turkey is different than farm raised ones. We also have a wild boar and deer at our fall family get togethers where we usually make cane syrup and roast or smoke any of the above. I grew up on a farm so fresh chicken, beef, pork, veal, and tons of veggies and fruits are what I grew up on. I also love fresh milk! The store bought stuff does taste watered down compared to the fresh thing.