Respected Contributor

Re: If you do any home canning, are you having a difficult time finding jar lids and rings?

@Sooner wrote:

I tried it a few years to see what it was like and a friend at work talked me into going to the County Fair.  Second year I won the blue ribbon with tomatoes.  The lady I beat for second place won the tomato class AND best vegetable!  I never thought to enter the State Fair!  LOL!!

My bread and butter pickles won second place at the county fair and they said they had some yellow in them.  I was thinking, uh, like maybe bread and butter pickles have?  Never did figure that one out! 

End to a glorious career!  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

@Sooner   Where did you get your recipe for the bread and butter pickles? I love them. Congratulations on your tomatoes! We only have about 5 tomato plants which is plenty for us. Then we do enough potatoes to last us all fall, winter and next spring. We did one row of blue lake green beans. 

Honored Contributor

Re: If you do any home canning, are you having a difficult time finding jar lids and rings?

I texted my friend who does an unbelievable amount of canning.

He said Walmart and Ace Hardware are two good places.  Also sometimes you can find them at Southern States (that's the name of a store.

We are no longer limited with 'walk in' stores.  There's no limit to where we can order from.

Many places are free shipping.  You can google it.

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I tried it a few years to see what it was like and a friend at work talked me into going to the County Fair.  Second year I won the blue ribbon with tomatoes.  The lady I beat for second place won the tomato class AND best vegetable!  I never thought to enter the State Fair!  LOL!!

My bread and butter pickles won second place at the county fair and they said they had some yellow in them.  I was thinking, uh, like maybe bread and butter pickles have?  Never did figure that one out! 

End to a glorious career!  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

@Sooner   Where did you get your recipe for the bread and butter pickles? I love them. Congratulations on your tomatoes! We only have about 5 tomato plants which is plenty for us. Then we do enough potatoes to last us all fall, winter and next spring. We did one row of blue lake green beans. 

@wvumountiefan Sorry, but I have no idea.  Most likely from a Southern Living cookbook or the Ball Blue Book of Canning!  Actually, probably the Ball book!

The tomatoes were because they were beautifully packed. Working in graphics and design, I'm picky about things like that!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

My husband and I do lots of canning. Have for many, many years. Grow our own veggies and some fruits.  Even though it is canning season, we haven't found a shortage of just the tops or lids. We got ours at a kitchen store near us until they closed down last year.  I also see them in our local grocery store. We stock up during the year so we aren't worried just yet. I also use them till they start to rust. I'm not a one and done canner,

Valued Contributor

I can and am not seeing a shortage in our area (west central ohio).  However, in early spring I found a seller on ebay that was offering 100 bands and lids for each kind of jar. They buy the jars and sell the lids.  I bought a box of both for $60. To me that was like buying a box of diamonds lol. I use my bands until they start showing rust. 

Respected Contributor

@hellokitty @Rockycoast   Update: I just made a trip to a little store in the country about 7-8 miles from my house. I needed a loaf of bread, etc and they had about 20 boxes of the regular mouth lids and rings (12 to a box) and I bought 6! I am so relieved. They were $5.29 a box, but now we have plenty for our tomatoes and beans. 😃

Valued Contributor

I am now seeing shortages. Shelves are bare.  Very few canning supplies to be found! I went to find some citric acid for my tomatoes and I have to resort to lemon juice.

Honored Contributor

Back in February when it was apparent there might be something up with this virus, I made a run to stock on lids because I knew there could be shortages and I was down to my last box of each size, which wouldn't get me very far. 

I am on several Facebook groups about canning and preserving and people all over the country are having problems finding all kinds of canning supplies. 

If I do see them in stores, there aren't many. I usually pick up one each time I go now, just to try to keep up with having some. 

Some people can hundreds and hundreds of jars of food a year and need lots. I don't can nearly that much, so I don't usually stock them very heavily. And it seems Ball has changed the lids and the seal and they aren't nearly as good as the past, people are reporting lots of failures in the lids, and they now don't last as long as they used to. I have decided not to keep a ton of extra on the chance I get a bad batch or don't use them up before they aren't as effective as they should be because I kept them too long.

Trusted Contributor

The shortages caused by this pandemic is crazy!

Fortunately we have a local drug store (Discount Drug Mart) that has supplies.  Not much, but enough for what I needed.  I canned tomato jam, bread and butter pickes and cowboy candy jalapenos.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner, when my Mom made bread and butter pickles, her recipe called for turmeric.  So, of course her bread and butter pickles had some yellow in them.  Go figure!!

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta