Respected Contributor

If you do any home canning, are you having a difficult time finding jar lids and rings?

Yesterday, I went looking for regular mouth jar lids and rings. We are canning green beans and will be canning tomatoes from our garden. I was not aware of the “shortage” and I looked in Walmart, Kroger’s, Ace Hardware, Shop N Save, Tractor Supply, Busy Beaver and Dollar General. . 79F38F8A-0D14-4DB2-8C3A-B257694DC66A.jpeg

We picked these this morning and this 5 gal bucket was not half full. We got 5 quarts and 1 pint out of this, and we canned 7 pints a couple weeks ago. 

The only lids I could find was wide mouth at Southern States. I can order them online but geez people have raised their prices. Anyone can? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you do any home canning, are you having a difficult time finding jar lids and rings?

Yes indeed, vastly underreported shortages every year at this time.  Begging calls are being made.

I keep my rings and stockpile lids whenever I see them all year.

Might need to keep more rings around.  The amount of jars I have is obscene.

Respected Contributor

Re: If you do any home canning, are you having a difficult time finding jar lids and rings?

@Still Raining wrote:

Yes indeed, vastly underreported shortages every year at this time.  Begging calls are being made.

@Still Raining   I also keep my rings till they get too rusted. I am definitely going to stock up during the year now. I’ve learned a lesson here. You don’t even want to know what people are asking for them on eBay. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Still Raining   I also keep my rings till they get too rusted. I am definitely going to stock up during the year now. I’ve learned a lesson here. You don’t even want to know what people are asking for them on eBay. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I had a lot of heritage types of tomatoes one year and had the bright idea that I was going to do each type separately in pints for gifts.  Rude awaking!  Now I have a stash.  And am open for offers 😆

Honored Contributor

I always had a problem finding lids and rings. One year I ended up buy a complete set with jars, just to get the lids and rings. It was the last year I canned.

Canning is not common in the area I live. I generally went to western Maryland for my supplies. My brother lived there at the time. We would spend the entire weekend canning. We even made our own horseradish - once.

Respected Contributor

I don't can, but I bought a bunch of Ball quart and half-gallon jars for storing kibble. I hate those two-part lids, so I replaced them with Ball's plastic lids that I got at my supermarket. They were much cheaper there than at Walmart online, and WM was always sold out anyway. My supermarket also had replacement metal lids and rings, wide and regular mouth.

Yesterday I was at Lowes, a big-box store like Home Depot, and I saw stacks and stacks of Ball quart jars with lids on the aisle. I don't know if they have the lids and rings available separately, but it might be worth checking.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I don't can, but I bought a bunch of Ball quart and half-gallon jars for storing kibble. I hate those two-part lids, so I replaced them with Ball's plastic lids that I got at my supermarket. They were much cheaper there than at Walmart online, and WM was always sold out anyway. My supermarket also had replacement metal lids and rings, wide and regular mouth.

Yesterday I was at Lowes, a big-box store like Home Depot, and I saw stacks and stacks of Ball quart jars with lids on the aisle. I don't know if they have the lids and rings available separately, but it might be worth checking.

@noodleann   Thank you. We are about 30 minutes from our local Lowe’s, but we may need to go and see what they have. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't can, I prefer frozen.

I know about canning having taught Foods and Adv Foods.

Lids and rings are often sold at grocery stores or try amazon.  The canning supplies may have a shortage because of that blamed shortage.  So sorry.

Honored Contributor

I don't can but my friend has a huge garden (at least 300 tomato plants alone).

He cans unbelievable amount of food.

I'll text him and ask him.  I live in the Northern Va area.  I'll see what he says.

Honored Contributor

I tried it a few years to see what it was like and a friend at work talked me into going to the County Fair.  Second year I won the blue ribbon with tomatoes.  The lady I beat for second place won the tomato class AND best vegetable!  I never thought to enter the State Fair!  LOL!!

My bread and butter pickles won second place at the county fair and they said they had some yellow in them.  I was thinking, uh, like maybe bread and butter pickles have?  Never did figure that one out! 

End to a glorious career!  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy