Honored Contributor

Re: If you could choose 1 celebrity chef to mentor you, who would you choose?

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:
Mtc,

Yeah, I love watching Ching-He Huang cook, too. I recorded her British and American-based Chinese cooking shows that aired on FN's sister channel, Cooking Channel. I watched various episodes numerous times over, since she's easy to follow, and the recipes weren't froo-froo unreasonable for the average person. I sure wish those "Easy Chinese Food" shows were still in production. I know she moved to San Francisco a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure what she's doing these days; I keep forgetting to Google her. LOL I'm not a big fan of "Restaurant Redemption," which is, in my humble opinion, too much like Robert Irvine's similar show.

Oh @Ruthie-Roo I am so tired of any of those restaurant redemption's I can't even tell you . . . I so miss having just straight forward cooking shows and these restaurant makeovers no longer interest me.

Super Contributor

Mtc,

I agree. I want to feel like I am in the chef's kitchen or classroom, or like they've come to my home. It's too bad, because while I love watching cooking videos/shows online, I still like the t.v. cooking shows, when I can find them. Reruns are cool. How else are we going to watch Julia Child? :-) By the way, anytime that QVC guests and hosts go into detail on a recipe that they're preparing, in/with whatever is being sold, I appreciate that, too. I know there isn't usually time to explain things from start to finish, but I enjoy anything new that I can glean from QVC cooking segments.
Honored Contributor

I'd choose Ina Garten, too.  She does seem so calm and pleasant.  And it would be heavenly to be allowed into her "barn" kitchen.  So gorgeous!  Maybe she'd take me along on a shopping trip, or send me off in one of her cars to go buy something in one of those charming little Hamptons shops or farmer's markets.

I think Michael Symon would be fun to learn from.  He's always cheerful.   And Mario Batali for all things Italian.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Robert Irvine...

Super Contributor

Pati Jinich from Pati's Mexican Table.  Everything always looks so good and so far the recipes I have made were pretty easy.  She always looks like she is having fun and she is really nice, I contacted her twice, once about an ingredient she used and also about a recipe that I have been trying to find.  

Martin Yan would be fun too.

tkins

Honored Contributor

I have a few.

To learn the concepts of cooking, Sara Moulton

To learn Southwest and new cuisine with a twist Bobby Flay

To learn baking and every day cooking Ina Garten

To have fun and chat and do new cooking ideas Hailey Duff, I love her.  I know she us a fun and very daring cook.  I love they type of California Cuisine she cooks

Valued Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl wrote:

Robert Irvine...

A BIG YUCK. Can't stand him. He thinks he's "all that".  There's NOTHING appealing about him.

Respected Contributor

Absolutement mon choix, aussi! Jacques Pepin, bien sûr!

Occasional Contributor

Wolfgang Puck, Ming Tsai or Jamie Oliver.  They make cooking look so easy.

Honored Contributor

I like Ina