Trusted Contributor

Re: If pots and pans could talk.

Hi House_Cat, thank you! I hope you're right!

Respected Contributor

When my mom passed away, I kept the oddest thing from her kitchen....her grater. She used that grater for everything! She grated stick butter!! She had some of the oddest cooking habits. Why not just slice it in the pot/dish,lol. I also kept her smallest cast iron skillet, & a flipper spatula. I just happened to notice on the handle of the spatula was the name "Robinson" (brand). That was her maiden name & I've never seen any utensils with that brand. Most of her kitchen stuff had come from g-sales, so not a lot was actually semential, with long term memories. 

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight

Sweet memories!  And btw,  grate stick butter all the time. I keep it in the freezer and the easiest way to "soften" it for baking is to grate it.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I learned from my Mom the beginnings of how to learn how to cook, and to garden.

She did well with both, but she grew tired of both as life became a little easier financially, and for a time, emotionally, and devoted her energies to other more "adult" things.

She's still here, and she does enjoy when I cook for her, in her home.  I don't hold any devotion to her "vessels" because she doesn't cook enough to make it a priority, so I make do.  Like any good cook, we could make a feast from a tin can, I guess.

I actually "stole" two old Pyrex pieces from her, and ultimately, got rid of them.  Old, faded, and just not my thing.  I do still want her set of Red Wing pottery dishware, and serve ware.  I hope she remembers I want it!  She's already given my sister her Noritake (who will NEVER use it, I can promise you).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia

What a blessing for her that you are there to care and cook for her!  I was in a similar situation for my mom's last years, but she lost interest in food and grumbled when I required her to eat.  All she wanted was donuts and candy, lol.

About that old, faded Pyrex... I wish you had sent it to me!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I often wonder how many meals have been prepared in my grandmothers Griswold Erie cast iron skillet.

After she passed my mom was the one to inherit it and she used it almost every day.

I have it now and use it once or twice a week.

Contributor

I  can so relate to your post.  We  always lived away from our families due to husbands work.  I made holidays special for husband and children, friends (which we had to make fast because husband would be promoted yearly and that meant moving to another state.  Now, husband is long gone, children grown, live  quite a few states away.  Alone here now.  Sometimes  I stand in the formal dining room and stare at the table, thinking of all the food, friends,family, happy memories that were created while sitting at that table.  Sometimes I silently cry, sometimes I smile a sad smile and say, “thank you for the memories”.  I’m pushing 71 years of age and have no desire to prepare things like I used to so I keep the ‘what was’ in my mind and heart.

Honored Contributor

@Scriptpeeker

Thank you for sharing.

Looking forward to hearing more from you on the forum.

Sending a (((hug))).

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I have my great grandmother's ice cream scoop.  She was born in the early 1860's.