Honored Contributor

Re: If it's not on the counter...I won't use it...

@NataliesgrammaLong before any arthritis told me to stop squatting down to retrieve heavy appliances, my laziness told me I just didn't use those heavy items very often.  Years and years ago, I gave my original Cuisinart food processor to the daughter of a friend.  Once upon a time, I used it often, but once I was living alone I barely touched it.  

I almost ordered the smaller version QVC had a few days ago.  Then I remembered how seldom I'd used that old, heavy one and passed.  I have great knives and seldom prepare big batches of anything.

But thanks for the reminder -  I just realized I haven't used my KA mixer or my blender for ages. They ought to go, too.

Honored Contributor

If you use something daily, or even weekly, it deserves a spot on the counter.  For me, that's my KA mixer, toaster and Keurig.  Everything else is stored away, but still accessible if I need to use them.  Maybe you can have someone help you reorganize your cabinets so you can access them more easily.  I'm no longer a fan of bending down if I can avoid it.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma   I haven't read through the comments of others at all, but I will.

I have always been the type to "see the appliance and use it" type of kitchen person--same with other areas of my life.  Yes, there can be more clutter, but I do my best with keeping the countertops in the kitchen clear.  My KA is always out, as is my utensil holder and my Oster countertop oven.  I have no room on the counter space I have now in my rental space for my Vita Mix that is near a plug, but I still use it (less heavy to lug than the KA bowl lift mixer, for sure) so I am definitely in your club.

Happy Wednesday morning and great, interesting topic you have posted.  Now off to read the replies from others.

aroc3435

Trusted Contributor

While I have limited counter and cabinet space, there are several appliances I keep on my counter - Coffee maker, KitchenAid Mixer, KitchenAid Food Processer, Vitamix. Admittedly the Mixer is probably the least used of the bunch. I use the Food Processer at least weekly to grind cheese (expensive cheese grinder I guess but its way better than the shredded stuff from the grocery store).  My son who is a weight lifter uses the Vitamix every day for protein smoothies.  

I do  have a Ninja Foodi that rarely gets used becaused I have to store it downstairs and I hate lugging it around. Its too heavy.

Honored Contributor

Even though I have a fair amount of counterspace, the only appliance I have on it is a toaster.  I bought a crockpot over a year ago and have yet to use it.  Do not have any of the other applicanes posters mentioned.  You can tell I'm not a cook!!!  All I need is a refrigerator and a microwave--LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I have a small kitchen. So many years ago I bought an Oster mixer, blender and food processor all in one. There is a base with the motor and depending on what you need you just snap it on to the motor base. It is not heavy because there are several different pieces. So you are lifting just individual pieces.

It has served me well for 40+ years. And because it comes apart into pieces, it doesn't take up much room in the cabinet.

The only appliance I have out on the counter is the toaster oven. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I always stored my Kitchen aid mixer, food processor. Vitamix, air fryer, crock pot and bread machine stored away in the bottom cabinets. Now with the arthritis in my knees, I find that I just don't want to bend down and get them anymore. I found that I just decide not to bother making recipes that use them.

I did leave my Kitchen aid mixer out just recently because I almost dropped it while strugging to pick it up. As much as I hate my counter looking cluttered, I may leave a few more small appliances out all the time...especially the heavy ones.

I have a toaster, coffee pot and countertop oven out already...

Anyone else find that if they leave small appliances stored away, that they don't use them?

My counter top is covered with my appliance. It's my kitchen, and I use every one of them most everyday. What else is your counter top good for? Clutter is good!!! I don't have cupboard space for them.Love having everything handy. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

While I like a clean looking counter,  I keep several items that I use often out...my toaster, toaster oven, coffee maker, vitamix & juicer.

However some I keep stored in the cabinet. I don't use my Instant pot a lot but it's not heavy so I put it away...it also takes up a lot of room. 

Those items that I do keep out are on one side of my counter so I don't have appliances all over my counter tops.

I would love an appliance pantry with plugins to use the appliance and after just shut the door

Honored Contributor

We have a good amount of storage.  I am a fanatic now about having the bare minimum on the countertops.  We store everything like the Instant Pot, KitchenAid etc. in lower cabinets.  The only thing on our countertops right now is the Keurig, the knife block and a trivet by the stove.  We do use the stuff we put away, just pull it out when we need it.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I always stored my Kitchen aid mixer, food processor. Vitamix, air fryer, crock pot and bread machine stored away in the bottom cabinets. Now with the arthritis in my knees, I find that I just don't want to bend down and get them anymore. I found that I just decide not to bother making recipes that use them.

I did leave my Kitchen aid mixer out just recently because I almost dropped it while strugging to pick it up. As much as I hate my counter looking cluttered, I may leave a few more small appliances out all the time...especially the heavy ones.

I have a toaster, coffee pot and countertop oven out already...

Anyone else find that if they leave small appliances stored away, that they don't use them?

When it dawned on me that I got along fine without them I donated all of them to Goodwill.  

Blender, food processor, waffle iron, sandwich maker, rice cooker, 12 cup coffee maker.

I have never missed not having them.