Honored Contributor

Re: If You Own All-Clad ~ Pros/Cons Comparing Tri-ply and D5

@jaxs mom wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Just an FYI, Costco makes an EXCELLENT professional grade stainless steel "set" of cookware.  From my inspection I would say All-Clad quality, for a fraction of the price.  If you are into name brands you might not be interested, but if you are into quality at a good price, you should check it out.  (It's tri-ply and sold under the Kirkland name.)

I put "set" in quotes because I'm not a set person.  I prefer to buy just the pieces I want.  (Which generally isn't very cost effective since sets offer the best price per piece.)

I think the Kirkland clad stainless set is disc bottom, not fully clad. But they might have changed it? 

No, it doesn't have the disc bottom, but I will definitely have to give it a closer look when I go.  Maybe it wasn't that great. 

Honored Contributor

@rosehill wrote:

Maybe I am not supposed to be saying this here, but here goes. If you can get to Canonsburg, PA, All Clad has a twice a year factory sale at the fairgrounds. I have purchased all of my All Clad there, and I have quite a collection. Great prices. I have noticed that prices have gone up in the last 2 years- the buys were better 2 years ago. But it is still worth going to. I am lucky- I am only an hour and a half from there.  So far it has always been the first friday and saturday in June, and the first friday and saturday in December. Google it.

You can also occasionally find pieces (not often the sets, but individual pots/pans) in Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Homegoods. That's where I bought my All Clad cookware and saved a good bit over the retail price.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rosehill wrote:

Maybe I am not supposed to be saying this here, but here goes. If you can get to Canonsburg, PA, All Clad has a twice a year factory sale at the fairgrounds. I have purchased all of my All Clad there, and I have quite a collection. Great prices. I have noticed that prices have gone up in the last 2 years- the buys were better 2 years ago. But it is still worth going to. I am lucky- I am only an hour and a half from there.  So far it has always been the first friday and saturday in June, and the first friday and saturday in December. Google it.

Thanks, @rosehill, but that would be impractical for me.  I'd have to drive 16 hrs. round trip, not to mention the cost of gasoline, meals on the road, and time.  I've found an online site that has the real deal, prices already discounted, a discount code, a nice GWP, and free shipping.  The only thing that would top that deal is if they source was hooked up with Ebates!  LOL

I don't really want to do this piecemeal.  If it was for me, that would be a different story, but this is going to be a shower gift for my future DIL.

Valued Contributor

You are welcome, jeanlouisefinch (love your nic-my favorite movie and book). Your future daughter in law will love her pans. Mine will be passed down to my 2 grand daughters when I am too frail to cook anymore. They are that sturdy and wonderful. I LOVE my All Clad pans!

Contributor

I purchased Tri-Ply years ago through JC Pennys. The brand is called COOKS. It is the same quality as ALL-Clad without the hefty price. I also bought a set for my sisters wedding and she and her husband both rave about it. They also carried open stock peices wich I added to my set. This cookware will last a lifetime. ALL-Clad is way to pricey!. My sister bought an additional set on Amazon to add to what she already has.

I think Sams Club on line carries it too. Check it out. Make sure it says Multi-Ply or Tri-Ply

and the layers are encapsulated all the way up the sides.

Honored Contributor

@rosehill wrote:

You are welcome, jeanlouisefinch (love your nic-my favorite movie and book). Your future daughter in law will love her pans. Mine will be passed down to my 2 grand daughters when I am too frail to cook anymore. They are that sturdy and wonderful. I LOVE my All Clad pans!

Thanks, @rosehill, one of mine too!

Honored Contributor

@tartlets wrote:

I purchased Tri-Ply years ago through JC Pennys. The brand is called COOKS. It is the same quality as ALL-Clad without the hefty price. I also bought a set for my sisters wedding and she and her husband both rave about it. They also carried open stock peices wich I added to my set. This cookware will last a lifetime. ALL-Clad is way to pricey!. My sister bought an additional set on Amazon to add to what she already has.

I think Sams Club on line carries it too. Check it out. Make sure it says Multi-Ply or Tri-Ply

and the layers are encapsulated all the way up the sides.

Thanks, @tartlets.  I looked, but don't see any "Cooks".  I remember that being a Penney's brand though from years ago.  Now they're showing Tramontina.  I've seen that brand on some kitchen items at Costco.  Other than that, I don't know much about it, but will investigate.

Super Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I don't really want to do this piecemeal.  If it was for me, that would be a different story, but this is going to be a shower gift for my future DIL.

JeanLouise, I can understand that you don't want to go piecemeal, but why give your future DIL a set of pots and pans, some of which she likely will rarely if ever use. Don't you want to give her a gift she will treasure AND use? For unused pieces she'll still have to find a place to store them even if she never uses them - and that's a pain in the butt to have to do. You keep moving pots around to get at the one you want to use OR you pack the ones you don't use in a box and put them in the garage because you're not using them and since they were a gift from your beloved mother-in-law, you can't really get rid of them.

For the shower, why not do this. Pick the quality line you want to give her - 3 ply, d5 or whatever and purchase one pot or pan from the line. Choose one that you're confident that she'll use - let's say a 10" inch fry pan or something like my favorite, the All-Clad d5 Stainless Polished 4-Qt Essential Pan that I use frequently. Don't choose something like an asparagus pot :-(. Then give her a list of the rest of the pots and pans in that line that you're willing to add to her collection to choose from. Or tell her something like, "choose any pots and pans in this line up to a total of x dollars (whatever dollar amount you're willing to spend). 

Yes because you don't want to go piecemeal, you can select a "set" that you think is a good selection - but she might not choose that set if given her choice. Tell her why you're doing what you're doing - because you want HER to choose what she wants, not what her m-i-l thinks she might like. In the end I'm confident that she will appreciate your thoughtfulness. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So excited!  I finally ordered the All-Clad for my son and future DIL this morning.  The shower date isn't even scheduled yet, but I couldn't pass up the deal.  I chose a polished Tri Ply 10 pc. set, all of which are very usable everyday pieces.  I did add a stockpot steamer insert separately. There was also a GWP for purchases over $500, which is an All-Clad Lasagna Pan and pair of quilted oven mitts.  I'm happy that the set is American made.  The steamer insert and lasagna pan are outsourced, but they still look very nice and get positive reviews. The site already discounted the cookware set - would normally be $1100, but they listed it for $699.  The steamer was $99, and the GWP lasagna pan is valued at $120.  I had a code for 20% off so everything ended up costing me $639.92!  I'm excited because I know this is exactly what my future DIL wants.  Oh, and it's shipping for FREE!