Honored Contributor

Re: If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

On 1/8/2015 debc said:
On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/8/2015 debc said:
On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/7/2015 Kzeks said:

We went to some friends in the summer to a BBQ party..

They made the BBQ in their oven... They were the first

and only people I know who did their BBQ that way....

:

I believe it cooked/baked for 24 hours....

LOL!! They made bbq flavored meat. REAL BBQ is wood smoked over fire! At least here in cow country that's what we say! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

That's a city BBQ. Smiley Wink

LOL!! About a million years ago on this board Inky Dinky Doo posted an indoor bbq recipe made in a crock pot that was REALLY good! Despite the fact that it wasn't bbq it was delicious!!!

Before I got my big green egg I did meats in the oven during the winter. Now we're so spoiled we need it cooked outside.

You're an EGGHEAD??? LOL!!! Me too! Don't you love it? Steaks are wonderful and pork butt is out of this world. If you come to my house and we're having steaks, the people wanting well done get them done on the gas grill! We have a medium egg and there's not enough room for well done! And it's too much trouble to try to figure when they are well done on it! LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I bought a slow cooker with a knob instead of the touch pads. I added a lamp timer to it and I can have it come on after I leave and go off whenever! The others go off after a certain number of hours but you have to be there to turn them on!

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:

You're an EGGHEAD??? LOL!!! Me too! Don't you love it? Steaks are wonderful and pork butt is out of this world. If you come to my house and we're having steaks, the people wanting well done get them done on the gas grill! We have a medium egg and there's not enough room for well done! And it's too much trouble to try to figure when they are well done on it! LOL!!!

We have a large, but yeah everything is good on it. Meatloaf even. Smiley Happy

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 sidsmom said:
On 1/8/2015 debc said:

LOL, I find it amusing that people would consider something with a skinny cord safer than an oven. You can't get more heavy duty than that.

But some appliances are made specifically for long cooking times. I'm not an electrician or product designer, but I would think the electrical workings would be different for applicances being used for hours & hours versus applicances being used for a max of 2ish hours. The wiring conduit would be different. If you have an oven specifically designed for slow cooking...that's a different design w/ different wiring, but to use a regular oven for overnight? Wouldn't chance it.

I'm pretty sure all ovens are designed for long cooking. Millions of people cook all day in them, it's no different than putting something in overnight. Growing up my mother rendered lard, that took all day, never a problem and that was 50 years ago.

If you have something large a crockpot isn't going to be big enough, an oven is. And as I said they take up storage space. I haven't had one in over 20 years. I've opted for other gadgets to waste space on.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I've seen some great slow cookers at Good Will for very cheap still in the box and never used. If you don't like that idea they just are not that costly at Walmart. I also would not leave my oven on all night.

And things that go bump in the night!!
Honored Contributor

I would leave neither the oven or a crockpot on overnight. But, I'm a worrier.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

~ It helps if you imagine Auto Correct as a tiny little faerie in your phone who's trying so hard to be helpful, but is in fact quite drunk. ~
Honored Contributor

Its kinda/sorta like leaving a space heater on or having a candle lit overnight. It's not wise to leave unattended.....says the Fire Department, the insurance companies, your next door neighbor, etc., etc.

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should.

Valued Contributor

I have done this many times, at 200 degrees, and have never had a problem. It is no different than setting your oven at 200 degrees in the morning and having it on all day. If you didn't have a problem then, you won't have one at night.

Honored Contributor

Maybe a gas oven might have an issue. Certainly not an electric oven I would think.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 sidsmom said:

Its kinda/sorta like leaving a space heater on or having a candle lit overnight. It's not wise to leave unattended.....says the Fire Department, the insurance companies, your next door neighbor, etc., etc.

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should.

You think using an oven overnight is like leaving a candle lit? What do you have, a wood stove? You are sadly mistaken if you have anything else. Would you leave your furnace on overnight? No difference.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment