Esteemed Contributor

Re: If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

On 1/7/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 1/7/2015 hopi said:
On 1/7/2015 Kachina624 said: I wouldn't think twice about turning the oven on low all night. Bunch of nervous Nellies here. Do you think it's going to blow up?

Kachina, I don't think it's nervous Nellies, just concerned about the OP's safety for herself and family.

Maybe have just seen way to many news story tragedy's of people who left oven's unattended.

I've never heard a news story about someone who left their oven on at night unless it was with the door wide open. Do you use a furnace at night? No difference.

Not for cooking{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 1/7/2015 hopi said:
On 1/7/2015 Kachina624 said: I wouldn't think twice about turning the oven on low all night. Bunch of nervous Nellies here. Do you think it's going to blow up?

Kachina, I don't think it's nervous Nellies, just concerned about the OP's safety for herself and family.

Maybe have just seen way to many news story tragedy's of people who left oven's unattended.

I've never heard a news story about someone who left their oven on at night unless it was with the door wide open. Do you use a furnace at night? No difference.

I agree. I have used my oven on 200 degrees on several occasions for this purpose. The BBQ turned out great. I think it comes out much more flavorful and much less mushy than when cooked in the crock pot.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 adoreqvc said:

I would never be able to sleep if I knew the oven was left on, because so many unforeseen dangerous things can occur, but that is my humble opinion.

You decide for yourself gulf coast girl.

That's how I feel too.

Respected Contributor

I would not do it. One night I was cooking something in my oven for dinner. It was set at 350. Suddenly I heard a big bang in the oven and opened the door. Sure enough one of the heating elements broke and there was a small fire. No damage done, but I would never go to bed with it on. I would my a crockpot to be safe.

Super Contributor

On 1/7/2015 chattycathi said:

I used to make a delicious shredded bbq beef brisket...cooked it in the oven for 24 hrs @ 200*. I rubbed it down with spices then double-wrapped it in foil. Always turned out so tender and yummy!

My x sister-in-law use to make this brisket a lot and I can tell you it was delicious!!

I'm not sure if she cooked it 24 hours, but I think she would put it in very early in the morning for dinner that night. I could be wrong on that though.

Not trying to tell you to do this, just letting you know how good it was. I do agree with Irish that the crockpot seems to make it mushy. I have an electric pressure cooker that can brown, slow cook and pressure cook. I have done many roasts in it and I always sear the meat first before putting under pressure. This seems to keep the meat from turning mushy and my family loves it.

VickiSmile

Valued Contributor

We had pork butt on New Years, 10 lbs, went in the oven at 250 around 7:30. We had a wonderful piece of meat around 3 pm. It was so much better than the crockpot. It was in the covered roasting pan.

Esteemed Contributor

My first crock pot exploded years ago, sending food shooting out everywhere, luckily I was home at the time.

Respected Contributor

There is actually a cookbook for this --it covers using the oven and a dutch oven and has chapters on crock pots and ""sous vide"" (which is a water bath with sealed food pouches.)

Respected Contributor

Crockpots take up space, not everyone has extra. Smiley Wink

Anywhere from 250-300 for me. I also have left bean on the stovetop all night. I have one burner that is perfect for slow cooking.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

A Mexican woman who used to work for me told me how she makes cabeza, cow head, in the oven. Wraps it in foil and leaves it on low heat for 12 hours, overnight. Then she might, or might not, do some finishing on the grill, depending on the weather and her location. Beyond gross for me. I looked up pictures and recipes online and it is so gross and sad, but reminds one of where those nice looking steaks come from. - Bird