Esteemed Contributor

Re: If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

Wow, she's not asking about electricity costs or oven safety features!

OP, I make pork shoulder this way. I put the oven on 250 and cook it for 12 hours.

My SIL makes tough cuts of beef She puts it in at 200 and cooks it for 23 hours.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/7/2015 Kzeks said:

We went to some friends in the summer to a BBQ party..

They made the BBQ in their oven... They were the first

and only people I know who did their BBQ that way....

:

I believe it cooked/baked for 24 hours....

LOL!! They made bbq flavored meat. REAL BBQ is wood smoked over fire! At least here in cow country that's what we say!

Yes... They had different bottles of BBQ sauce for their guest to

choose the bbq flavor that they preferred...

Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 chattycathi said:

I used to make a delicious shredded bbq beef brisket...cooked it in the oven for 24 hrs @ 200*. I rubbed it down with spices then double-wrapped it in foil. Always turned out so tender and yummy!

my husband cooks brisket in the oven all night, it's very good!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

GCG, how did it turn out?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 GoodStuff said:
On 1/7/2015 VaBelle35 said:

The thing you probably miss using a crock pot is the browning of the meat.

There are many recipes where you brown the meat and carmelize the veggies first before putting it into the crock pot.

It's an extra step that most people don't like doing becuase it defeats the purpose of one pot cooking.

One of the greatest kitchen things I've ever bought is my West Bend slow cooker that has a plug-in heated base and a separate non-stick metal covered pot that fits on the base and can also be used on the stovetop or in a conventional oven. I brown meat and caramelize veggies on the stovetop and then transfer the pot to the slow-cook base to simmer till tender. The top is a pyrex dish that can be flipped over to cut and serve what you're cooking in the slow cooker. So convenient! Love it!

I grew up with that one. My mother still has it and uses it. She could sear the roast and then slow cook. They still sell this one.

Product Details $38 on Amazon. My sister just picked this one up over Christmas since my BIL broke the lid while taking it down to use. Apparently he thought the lid was attached. Shows how often he cooks! Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Charcoal @29 at WalMart online or in store. That lid is really attached, so he won't break it again.

As for using the oven like a slow cooker, only in the winter. Down here in the deep south of Georgia, you might as well be in the kitchen of a cabin cooking over an open fire! You can do it, but it does consume so much energy because of the giant space you have to heat. My mother is redoing her kitchen and wants a range with two ovens. One of the pluses of the two ovens, is having a smaller oven to use less energy and cook more efficient. Right now she doesn't cook much, but plans to when she retires. I don't see that happening anymore then than now.

Respected Contributor

West Bend has its own version of the Ninja for $99. Product DetailsIt is a High/Low slow cooker, roast, brown and steam.

Valued Contributor

I didn't do it Honny Brown, they all got me chickened out. Smile

Super Contributor

I use my oven like that all the time and you won`t get a better piece of meat. Slower cooking will give you a very tender brisket with some wonderful juices. Just make sure to add enough liquid and lay the meat on some celery and onions. I put some foil on my pot, seal well then press the lid on well. IMO I don`t think you can get the same flavor out of a crock pot. My nervous Nellie daughter won`t go to bed with the dryer running but will cook overnight.