Honored Contributor

Re: If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

On 1/8/2015 debc said:
On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/7/2015 Kzeks said:

We went to some friends in the summer to a BBQ party..

They made the BBQ in their oven... They were the first

and only people I know who did their BBQ that way....

:

I believe it cooked/baked for 24 hours....

LOL!! They made bbq flavored meat. REAL BBQ is wood smoked over fire! At least here in cow country that's what we say!

That's a city BBQ. Smiley Wink

LOL!! About a million years ago on this board Inky Dinky Doo posted an indoor bbq recipe made in a crock pot that was REALLY good! Despite the fact that it wasn't bbq it was delicious!!!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I might be cheaper to buy a slow cooker than running the oven all night.

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/8/2015 debc said:
On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/7/2015 Kzeks said:

We went to some friends in the summer to a BBQ party..

They made the BBQ in their oven... They were the first

and only people I know who did their BBQ that way....

:

I believe it cooked/baked for 24 hours....

LOL!! They made bbq flavored meat. REAL BBQ is wood smoked over fire! At least here in cow country that's what we say!

That's a city BBQ. Smiley Wink

LOL!! About a million years ago on this board Inky Dinky Doo posted an indoor bbq recipe made in a crock pot that was REALLY good! Despite the fact that it wasn't bbq it was delicious!!!

Before I got my big green egg I did meats in the oven during the winter. Now we're so spoiled we need it cooked outside.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I just purchased a new crockpot because mine died. The book that came with it said it cooks at 170 on low and 200 on high.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 LoriMI said:

I might be cheaper to buy a slow cooker than running the oven all night.

definitely. You can get a basic one at Walmart for $25.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/8/2015 mima said:
On 1/8/2015 colliegirls said:

My first crock pot exploded years ago, sending food shooting out everywhere, luckily I was home at the time.

I don't see how this is possible. Are you sure you aren't talking about a pressure cooker? Crockpots don't build up any pressure while cooking. If the crock would break, it would still be contained in the metal outside part.

Nope, it was our crockpot about 30 years ago, never owned a pressure cooker. I have no idea what happened, shorted out or whatever, I was moving it over on the counter and it burst the glass top sending pieces of food all over. I have no explanation for it, power surge???? Who in the world knows???

Trusted Contributor

A long time ago, I posted on how to smoke in a slow cooker..........Well.........Here is a way to smoke a brisket in a slow cooker...........Cool

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/beef/crock-pot-smoked-beef-brisket/

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

It is safe leaving an oven on all night at 200 Degrees. My oven has a slow cooking feature with a cookbook telling me how to do it.

What is very dangerous that people do all of the time is leave the house or go to sleep with a clothes dryer on. We have had 2 fires close to where I live due to a clothes dryer. At one fire a young child lost her life.

Please make sure you clean the lint out of the dryer and out of all the ductwork and never leave the house or fall to sleep with the dryer on.

Super Contributor

On 1/8/2015 luvpoos said:

I would not do it. One night I was cooking something in my oven for dinner. It was set at 350. Suddenly I heard a big bang in the oven and opened the door. Sure enough one of the heating elements broke and there was a small fire. No damage done, but I would never go to bed with it on. I would my a crockpot to be safe.

We also had the heating element catch fire on our oven one time. It's actually a common occurrence. It looks like a fireworks sparkler when it goes off because it bangs, then crackles and sparks and then poofs into a little fire.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 debc said:

LOL, I find it amusing that people would consider something with a skinny cord safer than an oven. You can't get more heavy duty than that.

But some appliances are made specifically for long cooking times. I'm not an electrician or product designer, but I would think the electrical workings would be different for applicances being used for hours & hours versus applicances being used for a max of 2ish hours. The wiring conduit would be different. If you have an oven specifically designed for slow cooking...that's a different design w/ different wiring, but to use a regular oven for overnight? Wouldn't chance it.