Honored Contributor

Re: If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

I have a friend who does her Thanksgiving turkey in the oven over night. She says that it always comes out great.

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Kzeks said:

We went to some friends in the summer to a BBQ party..

They made the BBQ in their oven... They were the first

and only people I know who did their BBQ that way....

:

I believe it cooked/baked for 24 hours....

LOL!! They made bbq flavored meat. REAL BBQ is wood smoked over fire! At least here in cow country that's what we say!

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/7/2015 Kzeks said:

We went to some friends in the summer to a BBQ party..

They made the BBQ in their oven... They were the first

and only people I know who did their BBQ that way....

:

I believe it cooked/baked for 24 hours....

LOL!! They made bbq flavored meat. REAL BBQ is wood smoked over fire! At least here in cow country that's what we say!

That's a city BBQ. Smiley Wink

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I also wouldn't have thought about an oven being dangerous. I just wouldn't want to use that much electricity. I would go buy a nice simple crockpot. Be sure and get one with the ""warm"" feature for keeping warm after the food is done until you are ready to eat.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't leave my oven on overnight.

Have you priced Crockpots? You can get some good deals on them and they come in all different sizes. Love my Crockpot, fix it and forget it.

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 colliegirls said:

My first crock pot exploded years ago, sending food shooting out everywhere, luckily I was home at the time.

I don't see how this is possible. Are you sure you aren't talking about a pressure cooker? Crockpots don't build up any pressure while cooking. If the crock would break, it would still be contained in the metal outside part.

Respected Contributor

LOL, I find it amusing that people would consider something with a skinny cord safer than an oven. You can't get more heavy duty than that.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 debc said:

LOL, I find it amusing that people would consider something with a skinny cord safer than an oven. You can't get more heavy duty than that.

I agree. My ovens have a Slow cooker feature, a dough proofer, dehydrator etc. I like my pantry being empty of small appliances taking up room.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 debc said:

Personally, I wouldn't do either. But it seems there are a lot of folks here who love to cook food for 10-12 hours.

I guess, maybe because I don't use a slow cooker, I figure that food doesn't really cook at 200F. When we used to sometimes get a pizza delivered I would turn the oven on to 250F and we'd each take a piece and I put it in the oven. All that did was keep it warm so that if we wanted another piece it would still be warmish hot for a while. That's probably why I cannot imagine cooking something at 200F. At 250F, it didn't cook more at all. It just stayed warmish-hot. But I guess 10-12 hours is another thing entirely. Doesn't sound appetizing, though.

Super Contributor

On 1/8/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 1/8/2015 debc said:

Personally, I wouldn't do either. But it seems there are a lot of folks here who love to cook food for 10-12 hours.

I guess, maybe because I don't use a slow cooker, I figure that food doesn't really cook at 200F. When we used to sometimes get a pizza delivered I would turn the oven on to 250F and we'd each take a piece and I put it in the oven. All that did was keep it warm so that if we wanted another piece it would still be warmish hot for a while. That's probably why I cannot imagine cooking something at 200F. At 250F, it didn't cook more at all. It just stayed warmish-hot. But I guess 10-12 hours is another thing entirely. Doesn't sound appetizing, though.

Maybe it works like a smoker does. From my understanding, a smoker cooks food at low temperatures, over a long period of time.