Esteemed Contributor

Re: If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

why don't you put it in the oven first thing in the morning and have it for dinner....or when its done....refrigerate it....then you just need to warm it up the next day for lunch...

I would not be comfortable leaving my oven on overnight, either...

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Kachina624 said: I wouldn't think twice about turning the oven on low all night. Bunch of nervous Nellies here. Do you think it's going to blow up?

Kachina, I don't think it's nervous Nellies, just concerned about the OP's safety for herself and family.

Maybe have just seen way to many news story tragedy's of people who left oven's unattended.

Esteemed Contributor

My Mother used to cook roasts all day on 200 degrees. They were melt in your mouth delicious!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I found this on the net:

At the average price of $0.164 per kWh of electricity in California as of January 2013, a 1,500 watt oven costs $0.25 to operate for one hour each day. This equates to an annual operating cost of $89.80.

To calculate the operating cost of an 18,000 BTU oven, for example, divide 18,000 by 100,000 to get 0.18. As of January 2013, the average price per therm of natural gas in California is $0.93, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Assuming you use your 18,000 BTU oven for one hour each day, the operating cost per day is $0.17 (0.18 times $0.93 times 1), or $61 per year.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/operating-costs-gas-vs-electric-convection-ovens-70406.html

I don't vouch for the data, just something I saw!

Honored Contributor

The thing you probably miss using a crock pot is the browning of the meat.

There are many recipes where you brown the meat and carmelize the veggies first before putting it into the crock pot.

It's an extra step that most people don't like doing becuase it defeats the purpose of one pot cooking.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

We went to some friends in the summer to a BBQ party..

They made the BBQ in their oven... They were the first

and only people I know who did their BBQ that way....

:

I believe it cooked/baked for 24 hours....

Trusted Contributor

On 1/7/2015 VaBelle35 said:

There are many recipes where you brown the meat and carmelize the veggies first before putting it into the crock pot.

It's an extra step that most people don't like doing becuase it defeats the purpose of one pot cooking.

One of the greatest kitchen things I've ever bought is my West Bend slow cooker that has a plug-in heated base and a separate non-stick metal covered pot that fits on the base and can also be used on the stovetop or in a conventional oven. I brown meat and caramelize veggies on the stovetop and then transfer the pot to the slow-cook base to simmer till tender. The top is a pyrex dish that can be flipped over to cut and serve what you're cooking in the slow cooker. So convenient! Love it!

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 GoodStuff said:
On 1/7/2015 VaBelle35 said:

One of the greatest kitchen things I've ever bought is my West Bend slow cooker that has a plug-in heated base and a separate non-stick metal covered pot that fits on the base and can also be used on the stovetop or in a conventional oven. I brown meat and caramelize veggies on the stovetop and then transfer the pot to the slow-cook base to simmer till tender. The top is a pyrex dish that can be flipped over to cut and serve what you're cooking in the slow cooker. So convenient! Love it!

I have that one! The base can also be used alone as a griddle........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 chattycathi said:

I used to make a delicious shredded bbq beef brisket...cooked it in the oven for 24 hrs @ 200*. I rubbed it down with spices then double-wrapped it in foil. Always turned out so tender and yummy!

My mom did this. Always delicious. I have also cooked things in the crockpot overnight on low. Always perfect results and no issues.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 hopi said:
On 1/7/2015 Kachina624 said: I wouldn't think twice about turning the oven on low all night. Bunch of nervous Nellies here. Do you think it's going to blow up?

Kachina, I don't think it's nervous Nellies, just concerned about the OP's safety for herself and family.

Maybe have just seen way to many news story tragedy's of people who left oven's unattended.

I've never heard a news story about someone who left their oven on at night unless it was with the door wide open. Do you use a furnace at night? No difference.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment