Valued Contributor

If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

What temperature would I set my oven at? I don't have a slow cooker and I gave my Ninja 3in1 away because it cooked too hot, no matter how I set it on the lowest possible setting it would boil and boil. I want to try a brisket and we would eat it tomorrow for lunch.

Anybody? TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: If I wanted to use my oven overnight like as in slow cooking,

I would never be able to sleep if I knew the oven was left on, because so many unforeseen dangerous things can occur, but that is my humble opinion.

You decide for yourself gulf coast girl.

Honored Contributor

I'm another one who would never leave an oven on overnight while we're sleeping. As mentioned, too many things can go wrong without anyone being awake to notice them. Also, even though an oven can usually go as low as 170 - 175 degrees in order to keep something warm (I often put in a Sam's Club chicken at around 2:00 p.m. for dinner at 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. but I'm awake and right there in the house).... the oven wasn't designed for slow cooking like a crock pot. ..... Smile

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Leaving an unattended oven on is dangerous. Also, the amount of energy that you would use would be cost prohibitive. Ovens use a load of energy.

Occasional Contributor

I used to make a delicious shredded bbq beef brisket...cooked it in the oven for 24 hrs @ 200*. I rubbed it down with spices then double-wrapped it in foil. Always turned out so tender and yummy!

Honored Contributor

My oven has a slow cook feature, but I have never used it.

My directions say to preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Place room temperature prepared meat into the oven and reduce to 200 degrees. Slow cook at 200 degrees.

A 5 lb roast wlll be done in about 5 to 6 hours. Use meat thermometer. 140 degrees for medium and 160 degrees for well done. Let meat sit for 20 minutes before slicing.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

I have used my oven to dehydrate food and left it on for 3 hours at 200 degrees with no problem.

An oven is made to cook foood in and it's not dangerous at a low heat setting. If your turn on your broiler and burnt meat it would probably catch on fire. Scheech..common sense.

Honored Contributor

Crock Pots are not that expensive......buy one. I would never sleep well with oven on even if low......not a good idea.
Honored Contributor

If you are intent on doing it anyway, make sure you clean you oven well first. Dirty ovens are a huge fire hazard.

I wouldn't do it either.

You can get a good quality Crock Pot for under $40.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Seriously??? I didn't think it would be dangerous at all, but then again I don't even like being in the kitchen much. Actually I hate it. Thanks for your opinions, I'm gonna pass then and maybe go out and get a slow cooker even though I have never liked how anything turns out in them. I was thinking it would sort of work. And no way am I cleaning an oven LOL , ain't gonna happen.

Esteemed Contributor

gulf coast girl,

It is dangerous to leave the leave on while you sleep all night. If you have all the gas monitor, smoke alarms, carbon monoxide and set an alarm every couple of hours at least you are protecting yourself as if you were up during the day.