Honored Contributor

If I don't own or want to buy a cast iron pan...

Wonder what the best pan to bake with would be? I looked up a pumpkin cornbread recipe of David's the other day. When I looked to see the things he used to make it, it looked more like a RR dish. I read through some of those reviews and was NOT sold on what I found of hers. I don't use a cast iron pan so I don't want to go to that expense of what I did see (as a for instance) on here. I'm sure any pie dish would work for the shape they want you to make cornbread in. I guess it just has to do with the heat source in the cast iron they might be after.

Does anyone else have a baking pan they do cornbread in? There must be an alternative that is good. Yes or no?

Super Contributor

Re: If I don't own or want to buy a cast iron pan...

You can use any baking dish(I've used a brownie pan) I wouldn't do glass pie plate though.

If you want to get closer to that "cast iron" type I would preheat the pan in the oven then pour in my cornbread. The cast iron gives it a crunchy all over texture, by preheating the pan you can get pretty close to it.
Honored Contributor

For my cornbread baking, I use an appropriately sized dark metal baker.  I also have no cast iron and no reason to buy any

Honored Contributor

I make cornbread in any glass dish (glass cooks hotter and you get a crispy crust); metal baking pans; stoneware; cast iron; a skillet on top of the stove (flip the cornbread when it is done on one side and DON'T burn it! LOL!!!); and ceramic baking dishes.  

Cornbread isn't at all fussy about what you bake it in.

Esteemed Contributor

I also use a Pyrex dish with no complaints.

QG, I personally love cooking with cast iron.  You can get an inexpensive fry pan from Target for $10.  Once it's seasoned, I think you will love it!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

While I have made it in cast iron, I do it like Sooner & Honey, much of the time, in glass.  I have an 8" square Pyrex that I've used for many years.  

I also have an 8" square silicone one that I've used.  Metal pans with nonstick work well, too.

It doesn't need to be baked in cast iron at all.

Honored Contributor

Thanks ladies, I feel better now and I have some ideas on what I'll use. Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal

Call me lazy, but I make "cornbread" using a mix and make it into muffins instead.  As further evidence of laziness, I use  little pleated paper cupcake liners to save clean-up time and avoid having the muffins stick to the bottom of the pan. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

While I have made it in cast iron, I do it like Sooner & Honey, much of the time, in glass.  I have an 8" square Pyrex that I've used for many years.  

I also have an 8" square silicone one that I've used.  Metal pans with nonstick work well, too.

It doesn't need to be baked in cast iron at all.

This!

Cast iron gives a lovely crust to cornbread and a nice crisp to anything fried, but you can definitely do without it.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.