Respected Contributor

Re: If Heaven has an aroma....

@house_cat wrote:

It's our monthly Game Night and also a friend's birthday. I asked him what kind of cake he wanted and he said "apple pie".  DH is concerned I can't put candles in it. I told him we'd put the candles in the ice cream.  That's me.... always thinking!

Or you can leave them off entirely.

Candles are a terrible tradition. No one should be blowing over a dish meant for a group, especially during cold and flu season. Just stick one candle in the birthday person's serving.

Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Candles are a terrible tradition. No one should be blowing over a dish meant for a group, especially during cold and flu season. Just stick one candle in the birthday person's serving.

It's funny that you mentioned that because in today's world everyone seems to be concerned about germs.   We worry about the handles on shopping carts and how clean are the toilet seats in public bathrooms but no one ever thinks of the tradition of blowing out candles on a birthday cake.     In reality, it is a rather unpleasant thought that someone is blowing all over a food product that everyone is going to be eating.  

I guess it's just one tradition that has been around so long no one ever gives it a thought.

Respected Contributor

🤔It's a wonder any of us survived the candle tradition on childhood birthday cakes.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Krispy Cream Doughnuts!!!!!!Smiley Happy

See the source image

My Favorite  Creame Filled!!!!!Smiley Happy

See the source image

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

It's funny that you mentioned that because in today's world everyone seems to be concerned about germs.   We worry about the handles on shopping carts and how clean are the toilet seats in public bathrooms but no one ever thinks of the tradition of blowing out candles on a birthday cake.     In reality, it is a rather unpleasant thought that someone is blowing all over a food product that everyone is going to be eating.  

I guess it's just one tradition that has been around so long no one ever gives it a thought.

@J Town Girl No.  This kid worried about it always.  I have avoided a lot of birthday cakes and/or scraped off the icing in my long long life!  Woman Frustrated