Trusted Contributor

Re: If Anyone Here Cooks With Wine What Kind Do You Use?

[ Edited ]

I was just re-reading my response and for some reason Graham Kerr, "The Galloping Gourmet" came to my mind.  I remember watching him many years ago and he always had a glass of wine in his hand and was pouring liberal amounts of vino in his dishes he was making, along with lots of butter and cream.  Out of curiousity I googled him, and he is still going strong at age 84, must of been the wine  !!!!!

Honored Contributor

a hint for those who have part of a bottle left after using it for cooking. if you are not going to drink it, freeze it in ice cube trays and then place in ziploc bags. you will have the wine cubes left for use in your next cooking adventure.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

Thank you for asking that question - the responses gave me lots of good ideas. 

I believe Graham Kerr's wife had a health issue some years back and he really changed his cooking to a healthier version. Not sure about his wine use.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama   thank you for this thread. I came here to search because I'm also not a wine drinker and wanted a suggestion for a wine to include in a Italian Sausage & Peppers dish. I had purchased a couple of bottles of cooking wine a couple of years ago but remembered they tasted salty and definitely not something I would pour into a glass and drink. From now on I'm adopting @GingerPeach's philosophy, "if it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to use in cooking".

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Esteemed Contributor

I use whatever I have in the fridge.  Since I am the only wine drinker in the house, I usually buy the small bottles, except for a summer blush.  I always have the Barefoot six pack of zin, pinot, and cabernet on hand for whatever I am cooking.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

My go-to is sherry - dry - for my chicken and beef dishes and any soups.

Strange that we don't put wine in our pasta sauce. (Thanks for the tips on which ones to use!)

fyi: Contrary to what you may have heard, the alcohol content does not cook off. I'm not stating that as a fact, but it is what I've read and heard from several different sources.

I had read this also.  In deference to former alcoholics (or current) Town and Country magazine online has a list of good non-alcohol wines.

Honored Contributor

I no longer use alcohol for cooking or drinking, but in the old days I did use a cooking sherry.  I actually liked it, and since I don't know any chefs personally it wasn't an issue.  I also used a red burgundy to make Julia Child's bouef bourginon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I learned to cook watching Graham Kerr and Julia Child, back in the day and recall both of them saying to never use anything you wouldn't place on your table for yourself and guests.

SO TRUE!!!

Best recent example.  Realizing we had run out of white wine, I placed it on our weekly grocery list, as it was a required ingredient in one of the dinners I was making the following week.  My husband did the shopping.  Oh-My-Word!  He comes home with many bags.  I look for a bottle.  No bottle in sight.  "Where's the white wine,?" I ask.  "Here it is," he says, handing me a really small 8 oz box.

Well, guys, I used it alright, but that stuff was the worst excuse for wine I'd ever tasted.  As I was cooking, I tasted out of the pan, a few minutes after adding the wine.  Garbage!  "Hey, Jim, come into the kitchen!"  He arrived, I handed him that darn box of wine and TOLD him to take a swig.  "Tell me what you think of that stuff in the box."  He took a mouthful, spat it out and said, "That's c__p!"  And, he's an alcoholic who will drink almost anything.

I had never tasted anything so vile in my life.  Honestly, if you see those small boxes of red and white wine, walk right on by.  My husband happened to also purchase a red box, even though I didn't ask for one, so I found it, showed it to him, punctured the box and down the drain it went.

Please do your creations a favor and use good quality wine.

Respected Contributor

my mother inlaw cooks with homemade wine. usually white wine.

Honored Contributor

I am not much of a wine drinker, so I just use those little mini 4-packs.  I always keep a red and a white 4-pk in the house.  So, that would more than likely be White Zinfandel and, I think, Merlot.  I do occasionally take a swig when I'm cooking with it.