Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ideas to help non-cook provide for a vegetarian weekend guest?

All of these responses are going to encourage me to do a vegetarian dinner once a month. They sound so good!

My suggestion is a variety of fresh vegetables, chopped and roasted with olive oil and balsamic.

Quinoa with some kale mixed in and a homemade salad dressing.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Pasta with tomato sauce (add in sauteed mushrooms or zucchini)

Vegetarian lasagne (fill with mozzarella, ricotta and egg, no meat, if they are not vegan)

Rice and stir fried vegetables.

It's not difficult.

Respected Contributor

On 10/22/2014 HonnyBrown said:

All of these responses are going to encourage me to do a vegetarian dinner once a month. They sound so good!

My suggestion is a variety of fresh vegetables, chopped and roasted with olive oil and balsamic.

Quinoa with some kale mixed in and a homemade salad dressing.

I'm a meat eater, but I have a lot of vegan/vegetarian cookbooks. Some are pretty amazing. You can always use them for sides.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

From Cooking Light....

Grilled Vegetable Lasagna

Grilling the vegetables deepens their flavors, which makes for a delicious vegetarian entrée. To speed preparation, use no-boil lasagna noodles; the baking time remains the same.

3 eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 pounds)
3 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
1 (15-ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
1 large egg
3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese, divided
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
9 lasagna noodles, divided
1 (26-ounce) jar tomato-basil spaghetti sauce (such as Muir Glen), divided
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided (I use the sargento roasted garlic mozzarella)
1/4 cup commercial pesto (such as Alessi)

Preheat grill.

Coat eggplants and zucchini with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Grill eggplant and zucchini 1 1/2 minutes on each side or just until tender. Cool; combine in a large bowl.

Place bell peppers on grill, skin-side down; grill 3 minutes or until tender. Cut into (1-inch-wide) strips. Add bell peppers to eggplant mixture.

Combine ricotta cheese, egg, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, basil, parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions, omitting the salt and the fat.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over tomato sauce. Top with half of eggplant mixture. Spread half of ricotta cheese mixture over eggplant mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

Arrange 3 noodles and 1 cup of spaghetti sauce over cheese; cover with the remaining eggplant mixture. Top with remaining ricotta mixture. Spread pesto over ricotta; sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover with remaining 3 noodles.

Spoon 1 cup spaghetti sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 375° for 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

from Giada de Laurentiis

Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables

2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch wide strips
2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cremini mushrooms, halved (or use button mushrooms or whatever you have on hand)
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch strips
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb mix or herbs de Provence
1 pound penne pasta
3 cups marinara sauce (store bought or homemade) Use one jar of Bertolli Olive Oil and Garlic Sauce, if you want
1 cup grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/3 cup for topping
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander.

In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix, until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.

Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and butter pieces. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.

Note: The veggies are a lot and don't really "roast down" in size so use a large pan to roast them in. Also, have a very large bowl to mix all the ingredients before pouring it into the 9 x 13 pan to bake.

What I like about this recipe is that you can serve it to vegetarians. But you could also serve grilled chicken or fish or your favorite meat along with for those who eat meat.

It's a great dish. Serve with a nice salad, maybe some great homemade breads or biscuits. A nice bottle of wine. This has turned into a super dinner around here.

Frequent Contributor

Cinder, this longtime vegetarian thinks your ideas are just fine! However, if you still are looking for ideas, check out the nearest Trader Joe's. They have umpteen frozen entrees, superb meatless Italian sausages, soups, salads, and snacks. I especially like the frozen pizzas…great for a light meal. Have fun!

Super Contributor

Thanks to all for ideas. Just to clarify, I'm not concerned or worried; she is very easygoing and food is not too important to either of us. I just don't like for people to feel stranded without something tempting.

Respected Contributor

Not everyone can eat soy. It mimics estrogen so it's a no for some breast cancer survivors.

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Cinder63 said:

can anyone suggest other types of cheese that would melt well on a pizza at 400-ish degrees in the oven and coordinate with mozzarella in case she wants to add more taste sensation?

Colby or provolone.

I'd suggest adding some fruits to your menu also. Enjoy your visit.

Frequent Contributor

Try some Gardein recipes: http://gardein.com/recipe-type/entrees/

They have great meatless meatballs that make a delicious meatball sandwich or spagetti and meatballs with fresh basil and goat cheese. I like their fake chicken strips in a (fake) chicken, mushroom and noodle dish. Their black bean burgers are delicious with romaine, onion, tomato, cucumber salad. Melt your favorite cheese on top of the sauteed black bean burger with onions, serve on top of the salad with your favorite dressing.

Have a couple of the Gardein,or you guest's favorite meat substitute, in the freezer and see what sounds good at the time. For breakfast I like the black bean burgers and some potatoes O'Brien with onions and peppers.

Honored Contributor

I would make reservations at a local vegetarian restaurant. If you don't have one near you most quality restaurants have a couple vegetarian options.

I had a friend visit this summer who I hadn't seen in over 20 years. I knew she was a picky eater so I waited until she got here and took her with me to the market.