Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Ice maker problem

Our ice maker died several years ago (not too long after we got the fridge).  We turned it off, and went back to using ice cube trays.  Old school.  

-- pro-aging --
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

That must be the pits, OP.

We haven't had a refrigerator with an ice maker since the '70s, and that one worked like a charm.

Given the lack of reliability of today's appliances, I have no interest in them anymore-- just something else to break.

I love the idea of the portable icemaker!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree with turning the water off and disconnecting the ice maker.   My SIL had a HUGE insurance claim for water damage to half of her downstairs flooring from a faulty ice maker.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Since the holidays are almost here, I believe I'd get the ice maker fixed.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@baileysue 

I forgot to add in my original reply -- whoever you have repair your ice maker ask them about the warranty period on the repair.  

I say this because most warranty the part but not the repair.  This was one of the things I found out when this first happened to mine.  Repairman  (Samsung certified) would warranty part but not the repair after 30 days.  This was a problem as my quote for repair was $325😳.  Of course, after this I tried others and couldn't find anyone to repair Samsung😡

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My Samsung isn't even two years old and has no problems so far. I sort of live in fear (based on reviews) that something will give out. I like the unit but hate cleaning the stainless steel exterior - streaks all over.