Respected Contributor

Re: Ice Cream Floats, Yes or No?

I have never cared for Ice Cream Floats.   I always liked milkshakes when I was a kid.  I wish I could have one now but the amount of fat and sodium in them is just too much for me.

Esteemed Contributor

As a child, my grandmother would make Root beer floats when I would visit on summer vacation. I could hardly wait for evening to fall, on an especially  hot day, because I knew she would make one of her "special" floats.😁 

It made my soul smile then, and it did just now while responding to this thread. That was a very special memory, and I am very grateful for it! I just can't stop smiling, and would give anything to be able to tell her😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

We have A&W Root Beer floats and Vernors floats with Breyers Vanilla Bean  ice cream often. 

Respected Contributor

I don’t like them.
Trusted Contributor

Yes ...... But, only if I can find Barq's root beer for it. Hard to find where I live.

Trusted Contributor

@noodleann  ...... I am still trying to register in my head pop/soda (familiar with both terms having lived in the south and north) being called tonic. Now, you mention vanilla egg cream. Please ..... what is vanilla egg cream.

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@noodleann  ...... I am still trying to register in my head pop/soda (familiar with both terms having lived in the south and north) being called tonic. Now, you mention vanilla egg cream. Please ..... what is vanilla egg cream.

I'll give you the recipe from Food-dot-com, because it looks right. There is no egg in a real egg cream. Apparently they take liberties with eggs on the left coast. We'll pretend it's not happening.

tablespoons vanilla-flavored syrup (preferably Ubet)

ounces whole milk
ounces seltzer water

Pour the syrup into a tall glass. Add the milk and stir. While stirring, add the seltzer. Drink. It's not the Gem Spa, but you probably couldn't get an egg cream there right now anyway.

Super Contributor

It's A&W for us.  

Respected Contributor

No, no way..  Just plain old Edy's Vanilla Bean ice cream for me...  Love it, that's the only kind of ice cream I buy.

Trusted Contributor

@noodleann  ...... Thank you!