Occasional Contributor

ITKWD pork & Sauerkraut Recipe

The recipe lists 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp blended oil, divided. Directions say coat sheet pan with the oil. Most recipes that divide ingredients say when to use each division. The recipe does not say how much oil to coat with and does not say what to do with the 1 tsp oil. Has anyone made this recipe?

Would it be possible that the 1 tsp would be used to coat the pork chops? I know 1 tsp oil is probably no big deal, but I want to make sure that it is not for the pork chops. Maybe not to dry them out? If it was all for the coating I dont think it would say divided?

Thank you for any feedback.

Honored Contributor

Re: ITKWD pork & Sauerkraut Recipe

You might try going on facebook QVC/David Venable and post your question there also.  Chances are David will answer question.  You dont have to be a member of FB to visit.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for that information.  I didnt know one could contact him without a FB account,. I will do as you suggest.

Honored Contributor

just looking at the recipe, it really doesnt seem to need any more oil, especially since you keep the bacon fat. i would just omit it or use it on the sheet pan. it sounds like a good and easy recipe.

Pork & Sauerkraut Sheet Pan

David Venable

Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp blended oil, divided
  • 1 cup smoked bacon cut into 1" squares
  • 2 lbs medium red bliss potatoes (each cut into 8 wedges)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
  • 2 lbs. sauerkraut (drained)
  • 2 granny smith apples (each peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges)
  • 1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
  • 4 boneless pork chops

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Once oven is up to temperature, place empty sheet tray in the oven for 10 minutes.

Remove sheet pan and coat with blended oil, then place diced bacon on tray.

Spread bacon evenly around the pan, then return to the oven for approximately 10 minutes.

Once bacon has rendered and is slightly crispy, add potatoes, salt, and pepper, and coat with bacon fat; spread out evenly and return to oven for about 20–25 minutes.

While potatoes are baking, mix the sauerkraut, apples, mustard, cloves, and caraway seeds together in a bowl and combine, making sure mustard and caraway is distributed evenly.

Once time is up, pull sheet pan out and check on the potatoes; they should be crisp on one side and just tender. Take a spatula and move the potatoes and bacon around, add the sauerkraut and apple mixture to the pan and mix all ingredients together, evenly.

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, and place across the middle of the sauerkraut mixture and return to the oven for 20–25 minutes or until the chops reach an internal temperature of 155°F.

Remove from the oven, and garnish with parsley and chives.

Cook's Notes

We're using red bliss potatoes in this recipe, but feel free to experiment with other potatoes such as sweet or fingerling.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

LOL i have no idea why the recipe came out formatted like that.....here is the link.

https://www.qvc.com/recipes/pork---sauerkraut-sheet-pan.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I read that whole recipe vertically.  Personally I would bake those chops for an hour, so I'd put them in with the earlier items.  Around here pork has been tough as nails and 25 minutes just won't do it.  Or I'd put all the ingredients together and cover with foil, removing at the end to brown a bit.