Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: ITKWD just now. Poor presentation.

I agree about the poor presentation. I ordered it this morning, then watched the presentation a little while ago. I was hoping they would show how to switch blades. They showed buttons on the back, but not how to use it. They also didn’t mention how to clean it. Ugh. I’m trying to decide if I should cancel and wait for reviews.

Honored Contributor

It bothers me that these celebrities are never satisfied.  He has several successful cooking shows and 6 or 7 restaurants... but he still needs to sell frying pans, scallops, salmon, slicers... knowing that he's a fashionable guy, it wouldn't surprise me if the next thing is a clothing line. Of course it's none of my business and nothing for me to be bothered about, but it impresses me how thin they seem to stretch themselves.

For many years I admired and respected Martha Stewart, for example, but I'm really turned off by her lately.  Is it ever enough for them?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

It bothers me that these celebrities are never satisfied.  He has several successful cooking shows and 6 or 7 restaurants... but he still needs to sell frying pans, scallops, salmon, slicers... knowing that he's a fashionable guy, it wouldn't surprise me if the next thing is a clothing line. Of course it's none of my business and nothing for me to be bothered about, but it impresses me how thin they seem to stretch themselves.

For many years I admired and respected Martha Stewart, for example, but I'm really turned off by her lately.  Is it ever enough for them?

@house_cat. I don’t know much about GZ, but have followed Martha for years. She seems to be one of those personalities that must be busy every minute of the day. She says she doesn’t require much sleep and always is attending something, flying somewhere, working around her farm, doing things at QVC, etc. 

I don’t think it will ever be enough for her until she becomes to old to get out and about. 
Good for her to be able to stay so busy at her age.

I can’t relate because I am just the opposite!

Honored Contributor

I recently purchased the HSN Kitchen mandolin I think it was a TS. I returned it as a friend used hers & it "slipped" and she got a nice scare!  Those blades are pretty sharp this is why I prefer to use a knife -- of course I use a "box grater" still for shredding.

I didn't use it but it had nice features to change slice sizes.  It always "looks" so easy on TV😉. ( This maybe a option if you are still interested in one)

This is the one:

FA1745D8-81A8-4845-9638-22A995B8CBF0.png

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agreed, I would have no interest in the product based on that demo. It just didn't appear to work all that well and there seemed to be information missing about it's use.  For a 12 min presentation they didn't show too much.

Yikes, @homedecor1 !  I too just use a knife and a handheld grater.  Not that I couldn't cut myself with the knife but it may be less likely.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I like the safety factor although I usually use my Breville food processor for slicing and shredding anything more than very small amounts.  I look forward to reading user reviews.

Honored Contributor

Very few of these cheap plastic things work the way you'd like them too, and they don't last long to boot.

I'm glad Martha makes a lot of things because often they are things I love.  Those gigantic tote bags of hers are absolutely wonderful!  Sometimes they will do the job nothing else will do.

She's making coffee now too!  Probably bought a donkey, rode up the mountain and picked it herself!  LOL!!!!  She would laugh about that! 

Respected Contributor

Yeah, I think I will pass on this item. Besides a poor demo, it doesn't look like it would last that long.  The safety factor was intriguing, but I haven't cut myself yet with a knife or the old mandolin we have.  Saving myself some money!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   I think I purchased this from HSN a couple of years ago.  I returned it.  I had a really nice (and inexpensive) one from QVC.  In a fit of cleaning, I donated it as  I thought it took up too much room.  It really didn't.  I regret getting rid of it.  It worked so well and I think it was only around $15.   My mistake.

Trusted Contributor

GZ is the new favorite.  So that means the Q made some kind of lucrative deal with hiim to sell here.  Really - what celebrity chefs sell on the Q now?  Emeril occasionally.  The rest are celebrities like Martha, Valerie Bertinelli, Kevin O'Leary.