Honored Contributor

Re: ITKWD Temptations Sunday surprise

[ Edited ]

@mollymaggie

My feelings are those (inc. me) have moved on to better quality items. Over the years, the quality has gone downhill - I can compare thickness of my original vs. now.  I guess that's what happens when you start mass producing with NO quality control. I am replacing broken, crazed, cracked pieces with good ole' Pyrex/Corningware light or Fiestaware.

I love all my pieces (serving only) but over the past 2 years I've been selling off my excess. I don't need all the pieces which came in the big sets I purchased.

I think Tara may be moving in another direction with Temptations. She has At Home w Tara (home party plan) in the Tampa area (I've gotten emails to attend home shows).

I also feel Q is getting away from cooking (i.e. Products) as I see 1/2 of ITKWD is Food vendors & really nothing new lately.

Might just be the sign of the times & changing audience Q is trying to capture with tons of beauty and fashion products.

JMO

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I absolutely love all my Temptations from the early years. In fact, today I used one of my "original" pieces & so much better quality than the ones of today. 

I would be shocked if it was free s/h - I think it may be Spring/Easter items. maybe a new design (I was a original OW lover never liked the OW vivid) or the pieces that have raised pattern.

@homedecor1

I think I have the first piece of Temp-tations that was ever made (and most since then too!!LOL), and for the most part, I've had pretty good luck with mine as well. 

I've had some crazing of about 6 or 8 pieces, as well as most of my original dinnerware, but when you consider the hundreds I have, that isn't a terrible percentage. 

My biggest problem has been the inconsistent quality. Many people will say the older stuff is better but that isn't totally true. Some newer pieces are the best I've ever seen, but others released at the same time, are thin and brittle. There just is no consistency in quality of the ceramic and the glaze. 

I do get a lot of joy out of changing my dishes out and using them for various seasons and holidays. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

As I said, I love all my Temptations - my table always looks beautiful mixing & matching with my other tableware.

I think I've had a few crack (in dishwasher guess banged up another item) and the crazing drove me crazy! That is when I decided they would be for serving only.

I don't think there is much out on the market that has these pretty colors or designs. I've never bought the dinnersets and haven't bought much since she changed over the OW pattern.  I started collecting the FL in blue but switched to coordinate with brighter colors. 

Honestly, I have no more room to store my pieces. I don't entertain like I used to (☹️😢) it's casual but my GD is coming and she is so excited to cook w/me and she wants to use all the "pretty" plates when she sets the table! 

I did buy the hydragena cake stand on special pricing the other day - it looks so pretty & great for my decor. I certainly didn't need it!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

I see lots of dishes and bakeware that I like, but one thing that really hooked me with the TTs is how there are several patterns (like OW and FL) that you can get everything under the sun to match. I love having everything both for the table and for the oven, in matching patterns. Any other line I've ever seen, doesn't even begin to have the number and variety of pieces that she offers.

And I totally agree with you about the newer bolder OW and FL. I simply hate them. I know a lot of other people are loving them, but I get excited every time she offers something new in those bold patterns....cause I know I'l not be tempted! LOL

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

I've run out of space as well. I have so much shelving in the basement and it is full (along with all my cabinets in the kitchen) to the point I just can't stuff any more pieces in. I'd love to have someone to pass a pattern or two off on, but so far, I can't find anyone who loves the stuff like I do!

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 and @Mominohio  Ladies, your enthusiasm is absolutely delightful.   Your positivity makes me happy this evening.

I hope Tara offers you all you want and desire. 

LOVE David!!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Thank goodness I have my niece since my boys (and their wives) are mimalists! No clutter or excess in their houses.

I will drive up to NJ in the near future because when my niece visited she picked out all the "entertaining" pieces she wanted. My cousin was a regional director for Southern Living @@Home and I was gifted many beautiful pieces & home decor items from her.

I have everything boxed for her & ready to go. She is getting my 20 place setting of Christmas Holly LENOX pattern with all the matching pieces. Including wine/water glasses. (My dad started me collecting them in 1978).

I picked her up a few newer pieces at the Macy's after holiday sale of matching linens.

As for my Temptations I'll find someone before I take my last breathe but hopefully I've still got some time! Lol!

OR

I'll convince spouse we need bigger house...that won't happen I'm sure!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio

Thank goodness I have my niece since my boys (and their wives) are mimalists! No clutter or excess in their houses.

@I will drive up to NJ in the near future because when my niece visited she picked out all the "entertaining" pieces she wanted. My cousin was a regional director for Southern Living @@Home and I was gifted many beautiful pieces & home decor items from her.

I have everything boxed for her & ready to go. She is getting my 20 place setting of Christmas Holly LENOX pattern with all the matching pieces. Including wine/water glasses. (My dad started me collecting them in 1978).

I picked her up a few newer pieces at the Macy's after holiday sale of matching linens.

As for my Temptations I'll find someone before I take my last breathe but hopefully I've still got some time! Lol!

OR

I'll convince spouse we need bigger house...that won't happen I'm sure!

@homedecor1

I have only one niece, and at this point I highly doubt she will have interest in even a small part of my massive/obsessive dish and bakeware collection! It has to feel good (and be fun) to have someone come and shop your collections, clean out some of the clutter, but know that even though you have lost 'custody' of them, you still have 'visitation' rights to your pieces!! LOL I know your niece will enjoy them.

I do have a son, but lately, I'm beginning to wonder if he will ever leave home and when he does, it will be my luck he picks a wife that is a minimalist as well!

I've always said that between the kitchen collections (including lots of vintage Pyrex and large Corningware collections), and my pottery and basket collections, there will be some happy and excited folks at my estate auction after I pass. As long as someone is happy finding my 'treasures', I guess I won't be too picky about who they go to! LOL

Respected Contributor

MominOhio, I am available for adoption.
Honored Contributor

If Tara seems less interested now, I can see her having her assistants doing more of the shows.  I wonder if QVC will eventually not have so many TT shows since so many people (like me) are at capacity with storage.  I have a lot of the older TT and love it, but haven't bought the last 6 or so years  when I had to return some items due to flaws.  I think the quality is down and the prices and shipping are too high now for what you get.