Honored Contributor

ISO a good source for gluten-free bread and bread crumbs.

My son thinks that gluten is the trigger for some health issues that he's been experiencing.  I make sure to use gluten-free products when I cook for him, but they are outrageously costly.  

Does anyone know of an economical source for GF bread and bread crumbs?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: ISO a good source for gluten-free bread and bread crumbs.

My DD was recently tested for Celiac Disease and although she does not have it, her doctor thinks she has a sensitivity to gluten.  She has been experiencing fatigue and stomach problems.  I would also be interested in sources for gluten-free products.  

Super Contributor

I have Celiac disease and have to be gluten free. I have not found an economical source of anything gluten freen. I do like the bread from Canyon Bakefouse, but it's expensive. Has he been tested? I was diagnosed with an endoscopy, and that was verified with a blood test that showed the antibodies, indicating an immjune system response to gluten.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Trusted Contributor

I have been gluten free for 30 years.  I am sensitive to gluten and yeasts/molds, which means that I have to avoid yeast-raised breads.

For a commercial gf bread made without yeast, Walmart's Sam's Choice Gluten Free Multigrain Bread isn't bad.  No, it's not the same as a good wheat bread but I can at least have a ham sandwich, lol.  The texture is sort of like wonder bread, not a baking soda quick bread.

For gf bread crumbs and gf panko, I use 4C Crumbs Gluten Free brand, available at my grocery store.

A good gf cornbread box mix is Krusteaz Gluten Free Honey Cornbread.  Their gf brownie mix is good, too.

Anything commercially made gluten free is expensive but at least there are many more choices now then there was 30 years ago.

American Test Kitchen has come out with a couple of gf cookbooks that I do like.

I use a Brazilian Cheese Bread recipe as a pizza crust since there are no decent gf pizza crust recipes or ready made gf pizza crusts that are any good, imo.   You can form the Brazilian cheese bread dough into hamburger rolls, focaccia and bread sticks.

When I'm in the mood for fresh baked bread, I make an Irish soda bread to get my 'bread' fix since it's a baking soda bread (no yeast).  I have pretty good luck with Red Mill 1 to 1 gf baking flour.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the feedback.

@River Song 

He does like the Canyon breads and the ones available at Walmart. I had no idea I could buy GF crumbs at the grocery store.  I've been making my own crumbs, but that's quite expensive. I'll look for those next time I shop and will also check out the cookbook. Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trader Joes has GF breads and hamburger buns.  They are priced higher than regular breads but not over the top expensive.  They also have GF muffins and bagels in bakery area that are delicious.  

I try to make a list in my phone of breads that please because so many not pleasing and I hate wasting my money.