Valued Contributor

Re: I wish that ALL can goods

I'm going to look into all the suggestions made here.  Thanks, & Merry Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of cans with flip top lids .... I do not think that the seal on a flip top lid is as good as the seal on a lid without the flip top.... I go out of my way to find products that are NOT in cans with flip top lids!!

Respected Contributor

I've ruined more than one spatuala with those sharp edges.   I also have a kuhn rikon that I love.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I also do not care for the pull top can lids.  They don't pull off very easily.  I have arthritis in my hands and it's a tough job.  I do better wiith a manual can opener.  I have a chunky black one (Oxo brand, I think) and it's comfortable and works fine. 

I have terrible luck with electric can openers so I have sworn off them. 

Respected Contributor

I've had my oxo can opener for years. Creates a smooth edge and haven't had any problems with it.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it just me,or do others find that the force needed to totally open  the pull top lid, often causes the product to splash out of the can? Consequently, I find myself leaving the last part of the lid attached to the can, making it hard to empty the can.

I will stick with my Kuhn Rikon..it never lets me down! ( nor does it cause the can to Splash)....

Honored Contributor

This is my ten-year-old Kuhn Rikon.  If this one is still out there, I highly recommend it.  It's just a can opener.  It doesn't start the car or make coffee or anything, but it opens cans and is well made and durable.  Smiley Happy

8334489945_cef9b1700c_o.jpg

8335544180_a87971da58_o.jpg

Honored Contributor

I bought an electric can opener from amazon, which also accomodates tall cans, years ago and it is still fine.  I will never have a hand opener again because they don't last, and it is easier to use the electric.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1My screwdriver or even the tip of my old church key works to lift the ring, but where do I get the strength now to pull open the lid?  That's where my pliers help, but I'll still prefer my can opener and tradional cans whenever I can find them.

One good thing about losing strength in my right hand - nakes me think twice or more before buying soda with those lids.  Water is better for me and not a hassle to open.  That at least is good -  I've broken my addiction to diet soda.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops

I don't know if there is a video with the item # it actually slips under ring and you apply "little pressure" and it glides over the top and presto it's open.

im not sure I've explained that right but it's the concept. Sure beats pliers which you need to grasp tightly and pull.

not a soda lover but on that note I can barely open the water bottles -- the can opener ring does that job too!

oh boy I'm like a QVC host....yikes just have spent too many hours watching ITKWD ....🙊😊