Frequent Contributor

Re: I wish I had more of this in my life..

I live alone and do not answer the door for anyone I'm not expecting. There is a notice on my door stating that if I'm not expecting you to please call before knocking. I have to keep myself safe.

Respected Contributor

I remember those days when I was growing up we had a neighbor who would stop over basically any time of the day for general chit chat. As another poster stated neighborhoods have changed, gone are the days where a lot of people purchased a house and stayed there forever.

For me, I don't care for drop in guests. I may not be dressed properly, house not in order and my meal schedules are different then a lot of people especially since I retired. I live in a condo and like to talk to neighbors in common areas but to use words of my late mother "no swinging doors".

Respected Contributor

I want that set of blue willow dishes. I would give my first born. Why can't they make them like that any more???
Honored Contributor

I have several good friends. Two exceptional girlfriends, and 1 guy friend (with his wife, but more him).

It isn't easy having and keeping friends, but it is worth it. I'm a people person. I thrive on people contact. Out of everything, not working, that's what I miss, contact with people.

Although I also love the way I don't have to go anywhere and can stay home and in the house for days if I want to.

I have a friend I can tell anything to and she never judges me or scolds me. We've been friends for almost 50 years. You have no idea how I cherish that friendship. She is the kindest, dearest person I've ever known. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

The key to true friendship is (like many things) to know how valuable it is and cherish it every single minute.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/24/2014 Scotnovel said:
On 4/23/2014 BlingQueen022 said:
On 4/23/2014 Scotnovel said:
On 4/23/2014 BonnieBelle said:

Yes, life today is very sad, the economy is horrendous, everything is soooo expensive, everyone works themselves to death and has no time for anyone or anything.

One of my best friends has just spent about a year in chemo & other treatment after getting cancer for the third time in 10 years and he doesn't even think that life is sad. He is fighting to live and will soon see his oldest granddaughter graduate from high school (a year ago he didn't think he would be around for that).

If you really believe everything you said, you should seek some professional help as you seem rather depressed.

What BonnieBell said is so very true. What you posted here has nothing and no bearing on what she said at all. None!

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Anyone who truly believes that life is sad needs some help dealing with whatever emotional pain they have - not dealing with it will only lead to further depression.

Again, you read but don't comprehend what you're reading. This makes it very difficult to reason with you. I won't continue with posting on your opinion because of that.
Respected Contributor

Darn. Every day I sit in my freshly pressed house dress and pearls and no one stops by!!!!

Denise
Trusted Contributor

On 4/24/2014 Rarity said:

I live alone and do not answer the door for anyone I'm not expecting. There is a notice on my door stating that if I'm not expecting you to please call before knocking. I have to keep myself safe.

I do the same thing, also partly for safety reasons. It really is not safe to open your door to someone you don't know.

Super Contributor

One word: Skype. I see friends and fam from all over the world via Skype. Makes a huge difference in my life!

Super Contributor

On 4/23/2014 dkh said:

Oh gees -- Aunt Bea and Clara..... loved that show!

Me too. Gone are those days though.........I see my next door neighbors now and then, although we don't drop in on each other. We will talk out by the mailboxes or when we are out watering the flowers.

On a side note, how old do you think Bea and Clara are in this picture? I think I read somewhere that Bea was only in her 60s when she did the show.

Super Contributor

On 4/25/2014 Pianomama said:
On 4/23/2014 dkh said:

Oh gees -- Aunt Bea and Clara..... loved that show!

Me too. Gone are those days though.........I see my next door neighbors now and then, although we don't drop in on each other. We will talk out by the mailboxes or when we are out watering the flowers.

On a side note, how old do you think Bea and Clara are in this picture? I think I read somewhere that Bea was only in her 60s when she did the show.

I just did some Googling, because I'm a HUGE fan of this show. She was born in 1902, and she played that role from 1960-1970.