Valued Contributor

Re: I want to get on the chicken breast bandwagon

Perdue has some flavored and just plain chicken. They come individually wrapped so it might be a great way to start off with raw and not really have to do anything to them.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass 

You trust eating purchased rotisserie chicken but do you know that many establshments, following the guidelines of the USDA, do NOT wash chicken for fear of cross-contamination (nothing that a thorough wipe down with soapy, chlorine water of your kitchen prep surfaces and areas won't kill)!!!  I can't imagine eating chicken that has not been cleaned/soaked in some brine and/or vinegar so I no longer eat commercially-cooked ckicken.  I will ask my true friends if they wash theirs if being invited to share a meal at their home.  I pass on chicken at large gatherings unless I know the 911 on it (who and how it was prepped).

Heat probably does kill the unwashed germs but what I'm totally skeeved by is the mental picture I get thinking of germy, unclean hands that picked their nose or satisfied an itch either north and/or south on their body, chicken dropped on the processing plant floor, chicken sneezed on, sinewy, bloody gunk left on the chicken, etc. in the process of getting it to the  consumers

Honored Contributor

@depglass  I don't like chicken thighs.  I like whole chickens, breast meat and I especially like chicken breast halves on the bone.  

SO, how about you try the breast halves on the bone?  You can line a baking sheet with foil, then spray it with Pam if you want.  Take the breasts out of the package with kitchen tongs and lay them skin side up on the lined sheet pan.

Put them in the oven at anywhere from 375 to 425 degrees and simply roast until they are done--35 min to an hour or so depending on the size and temp.

You can put olive oil or butter on before you bake, and sprinkle with salt and pepper or seasoning.  Roast until the skin is crisp.

BE SURE you have a good instant read thermometer and use it so you know they are done.  Don't overcook!

You don't have to touch them or look at them even!  Easy peasy and so good!  You can also buy chicken halves and do this. 

Most sources say NOT to wash chicken again at home!  So get out those long tongs and make some chicken!.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   You make it sould so easy and so good!  

I have never cooked a chicken breast that I enjoyed eating!  Dry, tasteless.....maybe I'll try again, your way!

Trusted Contributor

@depglass  I know someone who feels just the same way. She does cook chicken but is obsessive about handling it, wears gloves, etc. So I understand that knowing the risks are really very low doesn't actually help! However, I do recognize that there are more risks now that most chickens are raised in such terrible conditions. So my solution is to pay the extra money and buy pastured, organic chickens, and know where they come from. It's worth the cost to not be afraid of my food! I just buy and eat less to make up for it.

All that said, if you have access to a Trader Joe's, they sell bags of frozen chicken breasts that are always nice and fresh tasting with minimal to no additives, and not stuck together in the bag. You can pick one out of the bag with tongs, pop them straight in a pan in the oven to bake (I gie them a tiny spray with olive oil and salt), and put them on your plate without touching them at all. Cheers!

Honored Contributor

@depglass  What makes you think you can't get just as sick eating rotisserie chicken?

I don't cook chickens either but I am skilled at cooking cornish hens which I have every week (if I cook).  You can even rotisserie them if you have a rotisserie.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

What brand of IQF chicken do you use or recommend.....thanks.....

Respected Contributor

@depglass ...Here is a link to buying rotiserrie chicken.  I always try to buy fresh chicken  Not fond of frozen chicken.I buy the split breasts that have some bones since I feel these do not become dry when cooked.  Just remember to take precautions when preparing ad wash all surfaces raw chicken touched.  Samonella, etc., exists in fresh salad greens, etc.  Wash everything thoroughly.  Here's the link  https://www.foxla.com/news/for-grocery-store-rotisserie-chicken-theres-a-food-safety-danger-zone

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

@Sooner   You make it sould so easy and so good!  

I have never cooked a chicken breast that I enjoyed eating!  Dry, tasteless.....maybe I'll try again, your way!

@Zhills I honestly think these roasted on the bone breasts are the best!  Also, get a good instant read thermometer and use it so you don't overcook or make yourself sick!  OH and leave the skin on while they cook!!!!! 

I have a Pops instant read from Thermoworks that I am wild about!  I use it almost every day.  They are expensive but very accurate and easy to use and my yellow one is easy to find in the drawer.  

You order them from thermoworks website.  Sometimes they are on sale and they make great Christmas gifts too!!!!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@depglass 

You trust eating purchased rotisserie chicken but do you know that many establshments, following the guidelines of the USDA, do NOT wash chicken for fear of cross-contamination (nothing that a thorough wipe down with soapy, chlorine water of your kitchen prep surfaces and areas won't kill)!!!  I can't imagine eating chicken that has not been cleaned/soaked in some brine and/or vinegar so I no longer eat commercially-cooked ckicken.  I will ask my true friends if they wash theirs if being invited to share a meal at their home.  I pass on chicken at large gatherings unless I know the 911 on it (who and how it was prepped).

Heat probably does kill the unwashed germs but what I'm totally skeeved by is the mental picture I get thinking of germy, unclean hands that picked their nose or satisfied an itch either north and/or south on their body, chicken dropped on the processing plant floor, chicken sneezed on, sinewy, bloody gunk left on the chicken, etc. in the process of getting it to the  consumers

@vabreeze@depglass, I know what they say. I HAVE to wash it. I always brine chicken breast for awhile. It makes it so nice and juicy and seasoned too.