Honored Contributor

Re: I want to get on the chicken breast bandwagon

I will let this thread marinate over the holiday since we are going to our cottage and the only thing cooked there is done on a grill, burgers and steaks.  I will start experimenting next week at home.  Sooner's directions sound the most appetizing.  I had a bout of e coli (from raw bean sprouts) about 10 years ago and have respected food poisoning issues ever since.  I read Consumer Reports and they can scare the daylights out of you.  

Valued Contributor

I highly recommend Schwan's chicken breast.  Each breast is individually wrapped and trimmed.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

My big complaint with chicken is many chicken breasts are large and TOUGH! I quit buying several well-known brands.  I found a brand called Organic Smart Chicken...expensive but worth it....tender.  I have also purchased Belle and Evans...again, expensive.  Or, I buy thighs.

I like the suggestion from  Sooner about roasting chicken breasts with bone....might try...I rarely buy "bone-in".  I like chicken fixed many ways and have always washed first even though now they say don't do it.  I wash my hands a lot too for one reason or another.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to thouroghy wash my raw organic chicken breasts in diluted white vinegar.   Dry the chicken off with a paper towel.  Cook chicken breast in oven  to 125 degrees.  Chicken comes out very tender.  Medium rare and very juicy.   I use an instant read thermonitor. Works for me

Put food in front of me, and I will eat it..

Respected Contributor

You can be very clean about the preparation of chicken.  I keep a box of those disposable gloves from Sam's under my sink.  I use them while I'm taking the chicken out of the package and placing it on the baking sheet.  I then put the gloves and the packaging into the garbage and take it all the way out (down the trash shute since I'm in a high rise).  I then wash my hands, use Comet on the sink, followed by Clorox, I place the scrubbing brush on the bottom rack of the dishwasher, then wash my hands again.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer dark meat chicken but occasionally make chicken breasts since I’ve found a simple recipe that’s delicious. It’s the Hellman’s recipe. I make 2 at a time for my husband and me so use 1/4 cup each of grated Parmesan cheese and mayo. I use Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo. Mix the 2 ingredients together then spread on top of the breasts. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes (a little longer if the breasts are large.)

Moist and delicious every time!

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

I like to thouroghy wash my raw organic chicken breasts in diluted white vinegar.   Dry the chicken off with a paper towel.  Cook chicken breast in oven  to 125 degrees.  Chicken comes out very tender.  Medium rare and very juicy.   I use an instant read thermonitor. Works for me

Put food in front of me, and I will eat it..

Do you really cook your chicken to only 125 degrees?

FDA says only 165 is safe to eat.  Have you checked your thermometer? 

I would be afraid to eat chicken at 125!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

SO, how about you try the breast halves on the bone?  You can line a baking sheet with foil, then spray it with Pam if you want.  Take the breasts out of the package with kitchen tongs and lay them skin side up on the lined sheet pan.

Put them in the oven at anywhere from 375 to 425 degrees and simply roast until they are done--35 min to an hour or so depending on the size and temp.

You can put olive oil or butter on before you bake, and sprinkle with salt and pepper or seasoning.  Roast until the skin is crisp.

BE SURE you have a good instant read thermometer and use it so you know they are done.  Don't overcook!

You don't have to touch them or look at them even!  Easy peasy and so good!  You can also buy chicken halves and do this. 

Most sources say NOT to wash chicken again at home!  So get out those long tongs and make some chicken!.

@Sooner   Tried your method to cook a breast tonight.  Disaster!     Not your fault! 

I knew when I put it in the oven it would be tough.  It had very little fat under the skin.  You could see the pink of the meat through the skin.  Not a good bird!

Tastes OK but tough.  My dog will enjoy it.  Gonna try the other one tomorrow.  it looks better, but is big enough that I could ride the bird it was on!  Maybe I'll just boil it for Doxie.  He won't care!  

I won't give up.  Just ordered the pops thermometer.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

SO, how about you try the breast halves on the bone?  You can line a baking sheet with foil, then spray it with Pam if you want.  Take the breasts out of the package with kitchen tongs and lay them skin side up on the lined sheet pan.

Put them in the oven at anywhere from 375 to 425 degrees and simply roast until they are done--35 min to an hour or so depending on the size and temp.

You can put olive oil or butter on before you bake, and sprinkle with salt and pepper or seasoning.  Roast until the skin is crisp.

BE SURE you have a good instant read thermometer and use it so you know they are done.  Don't overcook!

You don't have to touch them or look at them even!  Easy peasy and so good!  You can also buy chicken halves and do this. 

Most sources say NOT to wash chicken again at home!  So get out those long tongs and make some chicken!.

@Sooner   Tried your method to cook a breast tonight.  Disaster!     Not your fault! 

I knew when I put it in the oven it would be tough.  It had very little fat under the skin.  You could see the pink of the meat through the skin.  Not a good bird!

Tastes OK but tough.  My dog will enjoy it.  Gonna try the other one tomorrow.  it looks better, but is big enough that I could ride the bird it was on!  Maybe I'll just boil it for Doxie.  He won't care!  

I won't give up.  Just ordered the pops thermometer.

@Zhills Well, I knew you are a woman of extremes but really. . . a Cornish Hen to an ostrich?  Hey, try to roast it maybe at a little lower temp for a little longer?  The dog won't care!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   Well, I was right about one thing!  That first breast was not a good bird.  

Did the big ole breast (over 1 lb) and it turned out pretty good.  I did enjoy me some chicken!  Sandwiches today!

I will try to find smaller breasts to cook and will use your instructions.  Thanks, Lady!  Changed my mind about roast chicken!