Esteemed Contributor

Re: I've lost the will to cook

I'm reitred and so is hubby....I have no desire to cook 2 or 3 meals every day, and thankfully my hubby doesn't think I should. I wouldn't characterize it as having lost the will to cook, I just don't think I need to do it everyday! I make something every 2 or 3 days and have enough for leftovers. DH and I were both divorced for several years before we got married, so he's quite capable of making sandwiches, eggs and bacon, warming leftovers, etc. when he's hungry. I tend to cook more in the fall and winter, especially homemade soups and casseroles, but losing the will the cook implies something that doesn't sound good to me. I just don't have the appetite or desire to spend a lot of time cooking big meals anymore.

Honored Contributor

Re: I've lost the will to cook

@depglass wrote:

I used to love to read this kitchen forum and the recipe forum.  Back when DH still worked I would drop everything and make one of these recipes on the spot.  Now cooking is a drag.  I'm looking forward to the delivery of David's new shortcut book, hoping it will revive my buried cooking spirit. 

@depglass  Hopefully, you can revive your will to cook.  Take one day of the week, and cook enough to freeze meals for a few weeks, if not more, then you know you don't have to cook for a while, but of course if you get the bug, you still can, and if there are a lot of leftovers, into the freezer they go.

I make large batches of soups, sauces for pasta, ground meat mixtures for tacos and stir fry, and when we grill steaks, the leftovers go into the freezer for tacos one night.  I just bought a book "Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook" by Jessica Fisher, available at amazon and elsewhere, for new ideas, and I have found many recipes that I will make for the freezer.  With the holidays coming up, decorating and baking ahead, I won't want to cook from scratch every night, so will be able to just remove food from the freezer, heat it, and dinner is served.