Esteemed Contributor

Re: I've lost the will to cook

I cook as much now as when I worked and had kids, etc. I really needed a break from all the prep work. My husband has no love for anything from the crock pot or pressure cooker. Soooo...I recently purchased an air fryer. I really am enjoying this thing. I purchased a smaller unit because it's just the two of us but now I see why some people have a large one and a small one. What a time savor!! You might want to try this. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass

What changed? Did your diet change or did you get bored with it?

I changed when my diet changed and I was cooking for less people. I still like to cook but everything is different now.

doxie

Hope you get your fire back!

Honored Contributor

I’ve lost my interest in cooking, but continue to do so because of our diabetes, along with the fact our youngest daughter drives a tractor trailer and looks forward to her favorite foods when she’s home.   

I watched my mom learn to cook, and now in her early 80’s, I’m seeing that she’s lost her ability and desire to cook.   She is much happier with any type of quick fix meal.    

Honored Contributor

I think DH's retirement had something to do with it.  He was home only on weekends so I made an effort to put out decent meals for him.  Now that I have to do it seven days a week, the enthusiasm is gone.  I didn't think he was noticing until he said You used to be so good, now you are happy to just throw something frozen into the oven.  Boy did he hit the nail on the head. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass

That is a big change in meal preps for you. Maybe you should think about cooking one day a week and doing the heat up the rest of the week.

I will freeze some things like spaghetti sauce and soup and have them ready.

I may cook a  beef roast with pepperoncis , onions and carrots. I can eat the roast and vegetables one day, Make sandwiches the next day and make soup to freeze.

I don't think you should try to do it daily. Maybe pick some new restaurants for your DH to take you to.

doxie

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I find a sandwich can be very satisfying.

There are so many bread choices in the store now.

Pile on meat (or not), veggies, cheese

I like a good tuna salad & chicken salad & egg salad

You can eat it cold or warm.

Just for something different.

It's just me and I can't cook for one.   So when I do cook, my kitchen is a mess.

Then there's the leftovers.      Right now I have ingredients for quesadillas.

Flour tortilla, shredded cooked chicken, different cheeses, pico de gallo

Esteemed Contributor

Empty nester here. I like a clean sink and countertops more than I enjoy cooking. Used to cook & work while taking care of a house full. There is no way I could run a B & B.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I've felt myself falling into a malaise of boredom with cooking so to counteract it I've thought of past recipes I loved but haven't made for many years.  I'm making one tonight although am cutting back amounts so we won't be eating it for days. 

I still love good well made meals, maybe its the clean up that is borderline terrifying.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Cooking for one ,is just a bore.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

IT IS NICE TO HAVE A SMALL AND LARGER AIR FRYER SO YOU CAN MAKE MAIN MEALS IN LARGER AND SIDES IN THE SMALLER AIR FRYER AND SIT DOWN AND EAT TOGETHER, OR BY YOURSELF.